`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to spot a fake 1970s Topps baseball card?

How to spot a fake 1970s Topps baseball card?
I am looking for advice on how to tell if some of the 1970s Topps I recently received are fakes. So, I recently bought some lots of 1970s Topps baseball online - my first dip into the 1970 Topps issue. I'm unsettled because in one of the small lots, 10 of the cards are bright white cardboard, there are a few duplicates of them. I immediately wondered if these are counterfeits (note, they are commons, these are not valuable cards in the set) - figuring someone was trying to pass off duplicates within a lot of real cards. But then I realize that a) cards that were taken care of differently over 45 years will be colored differently and b) some Topps issues used different cardboard in different print runs (I opened some newer issues for which this was the case). Anyone more knowledgeable specifically about 1970s Topps? I inspected the printing with a magnifier and all the dotted patterns on the front and the screen printing on the back seems the same. The only thing that left a question for me was how white and not discolored the cardboard is compared to the other lots of 1970s Topps I've received. Have counterfeiters been known to print commons of the 1970s Topps set that sell in lots for <$0.30/card? Did Topps potentially use two different kinds of cardboard over the life of the 1970 baseball run? I appreciate advice from any of you familiar with 1970s Topps baseball!

RE: How to spot a fake 1970s Topps baseball card?
Could you post a pic of these? It would be easier to help if you could do that. You need to have a hosting site like imgur or photobucket...

I can't imagine counterfeiters replicating commons, but then again I can't be certain that they don't.

(06-24-2016, 09:00 AM)madamson Wrote: Could you post a pic of these? It would be easier to help if you could do that. You need to have a hosting site like imgur or photobucket...

I can't imagine counterfeiters replicating commons, but then again I can't be certain that they don't.
I listed them on ebay (with a $200 shipping charge) so you can look at the pictures Tongue I don't have imgur or photobucket accounts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/162115695242?

The pic with 6 card backs - you can see the nice whiter color on the three on top, and the more typical browner color on the three on the bottom. The pics with 2 card backs, you can see one is much whiter than the other. They are definitely different cardboards, not just faded with light and time.
Thanks.

They are legit cards, my set has both types of cards.

(06-24-2016, 12:07 PM)dustin12368 Wrote: They are legit cards, my set has both types of cards.
Me, too. I also have both.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I just finished one 1970 set (last week) and need 35 more for a second set, but Same here with the different stock colors
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]