`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Rookie looking for help

Rookie looking for help
I am new to collecting cards again and was looking for any help on the subject. Started out with some blaster boxes of contenders 14. I enjoyed breaking boxes with the possibility of hitting an auto. But I am looking at this from only a collecting part not looking to sell and try and make my money back. Would like ideas on hobby boxes that have good hits per break. Have been looking at 2014 Rookies & Stars good bang for my buck with 4 autos/ memorabilia cards per box. Looking at keeping my boxes to around $50ish a box.
Any info would help. Thank you.

RE: Rookie looking for help
First off, from LOTS of experience, the retail stuff is rarely going to give you very good hits. And, I mean RARELY. I've hit a couple decent things over the years (been collecting for 25 years or so).

That being said, retail is fun if you have 20 bucks and don't want to travel a long way to get hobby.

Now, as to other aspects of collecting, the first thing I tell people new to the hobby is that you need to find your collecting center. What I mean by that is a focus that you have that will allow you to fully enjoy the collecting hobby without getting frustrated. There are SO many products, with so many variations that without a focus in your collecting, you'll spend a lot of money and really have nothing to really show for it except a bunch of worthless base cards.

For instance, I collect Packers cards generally. If I'm trading or I can get a cheap lot of cards that I know has stuff I don't have, I'll go for just about anything. But, if I'm spending money, I'm focusing on certain things. Mostly, right now, it's Jordy Nelson. Now, I do also focus on other big name guys like Aaron Rodgers, Bart Starr, Brett Favre, etc, but Jordy has been my go to guy for who I want in my collection. Now, aside from Jordy specifically, I am also trying to build a master set of Packers players from 2014 and 2015 Prizm. I have approximately 83% of all variations of all of the Prizm cards for Packers players from those years. I've spent a LOT of money on the Prizm, but I have a pretty awesome collection of it, and it's a very unique collection as well considering I have 8 1/1s from those two sets.

Now, you don't have to stick with one team or player. I know collectors who don't team or player collect, they set collect. One guy I know collects only National Treasures RPAs, while another I know of only collects cards that have 264 as the serial number (like 264/1000, 264/500, etc). Find the niche that will make your collection yours and yours alone, as it will make it that much more satisfying and will make it a collection that's worth building and keeping to you.

Second thing is make a budget. Looks like you have already thought about this, but stick to it. I've had times where my credit card debt skyrocketed because I bought a case of cards or bought too many auctions on eBay. It's easy to say you're going to stick to a certain number, it's hard to stick to that number in practice. Be mindful of it, because it can be difficult to keep it reasonable.

Third, products I'd recommend: Prizm is my favorite right now. You can get boxes of 2014 for about 34 bucks for hobby, and jumbo if you want to splurge for about 90. 2015 is almost down to those levels now. Lots of colored and numbered variations with very nice designs (IMO). Only downside is that the autos are stickers. Topps Chrome is another good one about the same price, although you get less color and less autos per box (only one auto per box of normal hobby). Contenders is nice, although you'll pay a bit more for the hobby boxes although you'll have the chance to get bigger names. I have a pretty substantial collection of all of those types of cards and can share what the last few years of each have looked like.

Hopefully that helped a little Smile

Well spoken! Another thing to keep in mind is I know a lot of people are disappointed with returns from opening hobby boxes, hoping to hit the lottery with a big hit. Consider an $80 hobby box which may yield 1 auto and 1-2 mem cards vs buying the guy you WANT for $20 from that same box then picking up some team lots or inserts on the cheap from the box or maybe spend the balance on cards you want that came from other boxes. Yeah you don't get the experience of busting packs (which is very alluring) but you are more efficient and disciplined in your collecting approach.

For me, I set build as my primary focus and to a lesser extend player/team collect. I'll get maybe 2-3 boxes of Topps Finest in a year and see how close I get to the set, then I trade/buy singles to complete it. For me I get the fun of busting packs and whether I strike out on the hits doesn't matter since I'm set building anyways. Though I will snark on the manufacturer if collation in the individual boxes are subpar.

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the help so far. I know buying most hobby boxes I am not going to hit a big name but busting boxes for me is fun to do. I have also done what you said and just looked at buying cards of the players that I like much cheaper in the long run. I have been watching some box breaks of the 2014 panini rookies & stars and noticed they have a balance with 2 auto and 2 memorabilia cards per box. What boxes would you recommend for boxes that would have better chances of pulling GU or GW patches?