`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New to Football

New to Football
I started collecting football for the first time about 2 months ago by picking up several lots and autos of Michigan State Spartans(in the Green and White). I had collected Basketball as a kid but stopped almost 20 years ago. I also resumed my Michael Jordan PC and picked up some Spartan basketball as well.

According to this online price guide, I have gotten a few nice deals on Ebay and COMC. I think I will be able to pick up a lot of base cards and low end autos this way. I will be able to pick my spots on a few of the higher end autos and low numbered inserts. I have yet to see any Spartan 1/1s.

Given my choices in collecting, does it make sense to buy any hobby boxes or packs? I am currently missing out on the trill of pulling random cards and trading. I would like to avoid amassing too many cards that no one(including me) wants.

RE: New to Football
WELCOME TO FOOTBALL CARD COLLECTING. WITH EBAY AND COMC YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE GETTING. OPENING PACKS AND FINDING AUTOS OR MEM OR BOTH IS PRETTY FUN ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS ANYONE WATCHING YOU BUST THE PACKS OPEN. BY BUSTING PACKS YOU BUILD UP AN INVENTORY FOR YOUR TRADE BAIT. GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN & HOPE TO TRADE WITH YOU IN THE FUTURE AS I AM ALWAYS LOOKING TO TRADE.
COLLECT DALLAS COWBOYS, MICHIGAN WOLVERINES IN COLLEGE UNI, KELVIN BENJAMIN JASON WITTEN & 2012 TOPPS CHROME DEMARCUS WARE RAINBOW (WANTS MARKED).

Welcome to Pigskin Pandemonium!

One option is box breaks. A dealer will buy cases. Prior to opening the wax, the dealer will sell a team's cards.

So when Connor Cook gets drafted, you can get in on a box break by buying Connor's team.

This will be your best option to get some of the rush of opening packs without excess and unwanted inventory.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

What Jeremy said, or stick to boxes that have small numbers of cards, and a greater chance for hits. Products like Supreme, maybe Triple Threads, Playbook, or real high end stuff.

What do people say about Box Breaks on the Bay? I found 2 breaks from the same seller for products that include Spartans. There are no bids with a day to go and the starting bid is $5.00.

This doesn't seem too bad if I can actually get it for $5 or so. These seem like they'd be really easy to fake. The seller has 99% positive and looks like he's got dozens of other similar auctions.

I have had many positive experiences with box breaks on eBay. Especially when you are on a budget but still want to enjoy the hobby, box breaks can be pretty exciting. Plus most of the time, an eBay seller breaks the boxes live so you pretty much know what you are getting for the team or teams you won. Of course it's like the lottery, sometimes you get a few base cards and parallels or sometimes you get nice hits. I hope this helps.

I've done a few breaks through there as well. They are usually a little more expensive than buying directly from breaker, but a good way to explore.