`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How has your collection & philosophy of collecting changed in 2015?

How has your collection & philosophy of collecting changed in 2015?
Across several boards, I've heard the question "What are your goals of 2016?" I haven't seen questions about 2015 though ... maybe I'm just blind though :p

In 2015, how has your collection, and your philosophy on collecting changed?

Here is my answer:

I went from (almost) nothing to ... a ton.
Looking back on my blog posts, mine has changed like crazy. I went from almost nothing to a massive, meaningful (to me) collection. I have also re-connected with the emotional side of collecting as well. Being a reseller for several years, I completely forgot what it was like to have an emotional connection to certain cards. I have developed a softer spot for player collectors.

For the first time also, I have constructed a checklist that I live by. A switch has been turned on.

When searching eBay, if a card comes up that I have interest in, my decision to buy has gone from

"Oh, that's a cool card ... maybe I'll get it!"

to

"Ack! I don't have that one! Gotta get it!"

Another thing that I have noticed (maybe this is nothing new, or maybe the tide is turning) is that collectors are becoming less and less concerned about checklisted and "book value" items for their collections, and more interested in things that are visually appealing to them. I've had a ton of interest in people having me do custom card / art pieces for their collections. Some of them are at the expense of valuable cards with high book values. Last year, I would have never dreamed that such heresy would have existed in the collecting community, yet more and more people keep sending me their bigger $ cards to be hacked up! Hey, I'm not complaining - I've enjoyed the heck out of it! Smile

So, how has your collection, and your philosophy on collecting changed in 2015?
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

RE: How has your collection & philosophy of collecting changed in 2015?
(12-31-2015, 10:40 AM)mouschi3 Wrote: So, how has your collection, and your philosophy on collecting changed in 2015?
Another Amazing post!!

To answer your post though, "I can answer that post in 2 words, TanMan" it hasn't. I hope you saw where I was going with my answer, Tanner. That was a tribute to the great show "I can name that song in ___ notes"?
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I think the thing that really changed in 2015 for me is that other than my Phillies collection, I'm more interested in cards / sets that appeal to me verses the value of the card. As I don't collect auto's/patches /relics (ha ha yea right), vintage has also peaked my interest more.

I have also come to the realization that my time is more valuable on other things than ripping new wax in quantities that make no sense and leave me with a lot of cards to sort and than move.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(12-31-2015, 10:57 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Another Amazing post!!

To answer your post though, "I can answer that post in 2 words, TanMan" it hasn't. I hope you saw where I was going with my answer, Tanner. That was a tribute to the great show "I can name that song in ___ notes"?
I'm behind on tv so I haven't even heard of it - sounds entertaining though!
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

(12-31-2015, 11:06 AM)mouschi3 Wrote: I'm behind on tv so I haven't even heard of it - sounds entertaining though!
Oh, it WAS good; its not on anymore, though. Its a classic, but not as classic as a '57 Chevy or "I Love Lucy".

A few changes for me in 2015:

For four years I focused on two players, Starlin Castro and Ernie Banks and missed out on some great players such as Mike Trout and Bryce Harper. Not being a high end trader I now have to purchase their cards at high prices. So in 2015 I focused on multiple players and I believe my collection has become better as a result.

Trading - Never thought I would trade my cards, gave some away in the past but never traded. Although I have made some mistakes learning,this was a big change for me this year thanks to many of you.

Card Value - In the past I would run to find a Beckett to get the pricing before purchasing the card I wanted. This year if I wanted the card I bought it and moved on, not concerned if the card was up or down in value.

Scott

Good question. In 2015 I got more involved in collecting but I focused more on the vintage cards. I started picking up more Roger Maris cards and spent less time busting new boxes. I didn't even buy 1 pack of Topps Tribute this year - by far my favorite product since 2001. I did start picking up some Bryce Harper cards, but not just because he had a breakout year. We work out at the same gym - I see him a few times/ week.

I invested more time in reading about the players I collect. I am 26. Many of the players passed away before I hit the age of 10. This year I read biographies on Maris, Mantle, DiMaggio and Berra. Mint Condition and The Card were also great books about the hobby.
Collecting: Bryce Harper, Cal Ripken Jr, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and Ted Williams.

Where is the gym that you workout at?

I dove into vintage for the first time this year; and completed a '54 & '56 Topps set. I now have plans to build all of the '50s Topps sets!

Its another cool aspect to my collection (in addition to RCs, Autos, Auto'd baseballs & bobbleheads)- as I now think the "themes" of my collection are well rounded, and I have a complete want list!

Until there are more HOFers & milestone club members of course!
My Website: thepointguard.weebly.com
Also Collecting: Five Star Autos, '50s Topps Sets
Current Top Wants: '15 Chipper Jones & Other Five Star Autos
[Image: PGBanner_zps899b0bff.jpg]

I shifted this year more to new products. I usually tend to go 50/50 between vintage and new products. Also, this year I added autograph bats to my memorabilia collection. Planning on balancing cards back to 50/50 vintage and new products, and try to shift some of the collecting budget to memorabilia products.
Looking foward to the 2016.