`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Receiving cards from smokers

Receiving cards from smokers
This is not a rant against smokers...smoke 'em if you got 'em. It is a vent about receiving cards that smell like they had 3 packs a day blown directly on them for the past year. The second I cracked the box the stench hit me in the face. It was pretty nasty. The cards were in one touch holders but that offers little protection from odor. I have them airing out now, and about an hour later there is already a noticeable difference. Hopefully by tomorrow they will be all clear.

Anybody else ever receive cards from a heavy smoker? Do they ever completely air out?

This is the first time in all my years of collecting this has ever happened, and hopefully the last!
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

RE: Receiving cards from smokers
(12-23-2015, 12:38 AM)jephthah1 Wrote: Anybody else ever receive cards from a heavy smoker? Do they ever completely air out?

This is the first time in all my years of collecting this has ever happened, and hopefully the last!
1st time - wow you're extremely lucky!

Eventually they will completely air out.

Earlier this year, I bought a Jaguars Media Guide that was autographed by many of the players from a heavy smoker. But unlike a card, the smell has barely left. No amount of laundry dryer sheets and airing out has helped...just went to check on it and it still stinks AND it's BEEN SIX MONTHS!
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

I can honestly say ive received thousands of packages and I can never smell smoke on mine.. ever. im sure ive gotten cards from a smoker too. I myself do not smoke, never have and never will so youd think itd be EASY for me to tell this.
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.

I received one just a few weeks back (game used jersey swatch) and it's still sat away from the rest of my collection. I ditched the sleeve and holder it came in and gave it a fresh new holder. . .I can still smell smoke on it. I'm sure over time it will fade away.
**Not Currently Trading - July 2021**

Collecting Alexander Mogilny and Various Sets.

Current Projects. . .
Hot Prospects 2007-08 (not inc. 1 of 1's) 516/914
Artifacts 2015-16 (Base/Ruby inc.Rookies) 322/406
OPC 2016-17 (Base, Rainbow, Retro and Playing Cards) - *HELP* I need loads!

(12-23-2015, 07:37 AM)jfrench91 Wrote: I can honestly say ive received thousands of packages and I can never smell smoke on mine.. ever. im sure ive gotten cards from a smoker too. I myself do not smoke, never have and never will so youd think itd be EASY for me to tell this.
To be honest, I never really even noticed smoke smell when I was younger, it wasn't all that noticeable to me. But, after I had been a smoker for several years then quit, I have forever since been EXTREMELY sensitive to it! Not sure if jephthah1 has the same situation, but I can tell if someone is smoking downwind from me at least a block away when I'm walking downtown.

That's a bummer. I've gotten some mid-90s Topps cards with formerly white borders that have a very slight browning to them due to smoke which bums me out. Growing up in a smoking household and not smoking myself has left me very sensitive to it.

(12-23-2015, 10:33 AM)bojesphob Wrote: To be honest, I never really even noticed smoke smell when I was younger, it wasn't all that noticeable to me. But, after I had been a smoker for several years then quit, I have forever since been EXTREMELY sensitive to it! Not sure if jephthah1 has the same situation, but I can tell if someone is smoking downwind from me at least a block away when I'm walking downtown.
Same for me... once I quit, super sensitive. I have smelled it on packages before, but it's never been too bad and has usually been limited to the package itself.

I've been at stop lights and able to smell the car (or two) in front of me.

A great way to help get the smoke smell out/off of sports cards is to place the card(s) in a trash bag or small brown paper bag filled with newspaper clippings or shredded paper clippings then... just let it sit!
Obviously, the worse the smell is the longer it's going to need to be buried in the paper clippings.

I remember opening an envelope containing a card once and the smell hit me in the same way it hit me the first time I ever walked into a bar. Just startling and off putting at the same time. It was like jephthah1's description, as if the seller was specifically singling that card out for direct cigarette smoke blowing.

My wife, ex smoker, came home and so I offered her the envelope and she did one of those exaggerated "gagging" *bleh* sounds to indicate it was gross.

On top of all that, the card had a lot of damage on it that was not evident in the scan so I had to file for a return which led to him bidding on a bunch of my stuff so he could leave negative feedback (I left neutral). His other listings right before and after mine also noted the heavy smoke stench.

He responded to my feedback with, "Don't sell to this guy, he examines cards with a microscope!" It took everything in my willpower to not respond, "Actually it's a jewelers loop..." but I just let it go. I never was able to get my negatives removed from him.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

Its funny i seen this post today as I just got one today! Damn it stunk! I use to smoke for almost 12 years but quit and its been about 4-5 years since I've smoked. I'ma have to air it out!

[Image: s-l1600_zpskutlgfo7.jpg]
Wants:
2006 Bowman Sterling Red Refractors #RB1 JSY Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 SP Authentic Rookie Autographed NFL Logo Patches #252 JSY AU Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 Topps Red Hot Rookies Autographs #RB Reggie Bush/10