`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Card Storage

Card Storage
I am looking for a storage option for my cards. I have approximately 50 3600 count boxes of cards that I need easy access to for trading. I currently am using a rolling wire shelf unit that works pretty good. My problem is I am having to stack the boxes three high to make use of space. I would like something that is built with space for one box in each level. Does anyone know of a seller that has something like this? I have looked everywhere I know to look and have come up empty. If not I will build from scratch but I was hoping to avoid that.

RE: Card Storage
Over the years there have been several builders who designed very nice wood storage units but I can't remember the names of any of them or even if they are still active members.
Your solutions will really depend on where you are placing the collection. One option I can offer is the wire racks sold as closet organizers. They mount to the wall and are sold in a variety of lengths and depths. You could buy many of those and place them on a wall at whatever spacing you want to use.
Personally, I store my cards in UltraPro pages inside binders and store them flat on bookshelves. I have easy access to all cards, a quick way to find any card from any sport/year/brand, and only have to touch the ones I am trading away. This does require a lot more space than boxes though. I do have many cards in boxes too. They are mostly early 90's base cards and the largest boxes only hold 1100 cards. I keep them on my bookshelves too, placed in-between the stacks of albums as most bookshelves will only hold 2 stacks of binders with several inches left over. I hope some of this info helps you.

(11-05-2015, 10:51 PM)spazmatastic Wrote: Over the years there have been several builders who designed very nice wood storage units but I can't remember the names of any of them or even if they are still active members.
Your solutions will really depend on where you are placing the collection. One option I can offer is the wire racks sold as closet organizers. They mount to the wall and are sold in a variety of lengths and depths. You could buy many of those and place them on a wall at whatever spacing you want to use.
Personally, I store my cards in UltraPro pages inside binders and store them flat on bookshelves. I have easy access to all cards, a quick way to find any card from any sport/year/brand, and only have to touch the ones I am trading away. This does require a lot more space than boxes though. I do have many cards in boxes too. They are mostly early 90's base cards and the largest boxes only hold 1100 cards. I keep them on my bookshelves too, placed in-between the stacks of albums as most bookshelves will only hold 2 stacks of binders with several inches left over. I hope some of this info helps you.
Thank you for the info. I am pretty sure to get what I need to help with my OCD on this I am going to have to build something from scratch. I have tried the binders in the past and could not work out a solution I was happy with.

I had the same issues as you. What I did was build a custom shelving unit and stained it to match my other furniture. For the shelves, I used heavy duty drawer slides so each shelf pulls out so I don't have to keep taking boxes on/off the shelves to pull or add cards. I used pressed oak and in total it cost less than $300 (Alaska prices mind you) to build it. The unit has 12 shelves and each shelf holds 2-5000ct monster boxes - however, you can tweak the design to fit any size box. I attahced a pic for you. If you want any info on the dimensions, just let me know...

Have over 1,800 different Barry Larkin's and looking for more...

Nice shelves! I need to do this too!
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

Thanks woogie!

(11-07-2015, 01:25 PM)stevecurren Wrote: I had the same issues as you. What I did was build a custom shelving unit and stained it to match my other furniture. For the shelves, I used heavy duty drawer slides so each shelf pulls out so I don't have to keep taking boxes on/off the shelves to pull or add cards. I used pressed oak and in total it cost less than $300 (Alaska prices mind you) to build it. The unit has 12 shelves and each shelf holds 2-5000ct monster boxes - however, you can tweak the design to fit any size box. I attahced a pic for you. If you want any info on the dimensions, just let me know...
That is awesome, please pm me the dimensions. Think this type of shelving has the possibility to make the wife happier with my organization of my cards. Smile

Would like the dimensions as well. Looks very nice.

Dennis

I need a bigger shelf.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Thanks Dennis. Appreciate the feedback on the shelf.

Zeprock: this is just one of my storage areas. I have an old library card catalog I use for sets I'm working, plus a card room in my basement with wall to wall shelves for completed sets in monster boxes and binders. I use this in my bedroom for newer year trade cards as well as GU/Autos/#d.

For the entire unit I used 3/4" inch pressed oak. Wanted it to stain/look nice and be sturdy for all the weight on it.

Dimensions are:
- Width of shelving unit: 34"
- Height of shelving unit: 72"
- Each retractable shelf is 31 3/16" Wide
- There is one non retractable shelf in the middle - necessary to keep unit from bowing. That and the bottom shelf are 32 1/8" Wide
- I used heavy duty Drawer Slides (Richelieu Brand from Lowes) rated for up to 100lbs each and reinforced the glides with 2" screws instead of the ones they came with
- There is a 4 1/2" space between the shelves that hold the 5000 monster boxes (5 rows per box)
- There is a 5 1/4" space between the shelves that 3000 count sorter boxes (3 rows per box)
- Top shelf has a 7 3/4" space to allow for PSA storage boxes or other miscelaneous stuff.
- You can tailor the height and width depending on what type of boxes you want to store and how many on each shelf. This is just something I came up with to fit my need - tired of moving 1 or 2 boxes to get to one on the bottom, then putting all of them on the floor, bed, or desk to sort/pull the card I was looking for. The retractable shelves are definitely worth the $ if you spend a lot of time sorting or pulling cards...

If you are going to build the shelf, I would highly suggest cutting all the shelves about 1/8" or a little more too wide to allow for imperfections in the wood. You can always use a planer to adjust the shelves down a little to the necessary width. Can save you from having to purchase more wood in the long run...

If anyone builds one, please send me pictures. Love to see how they turn out...