`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
1952 Topps Mantle Anyone?

1952 Topps Mantle Anyone?
So I'm well aware of the forum rules about posting auction info. If the Mods want to delete this then so be it. It is well outside the reach of "normal" people anyway.

There is a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 8 on Ebay right now. 9 Days to go. It is currently sitting at $425,100.00.

Anybody have any guesses how high this one will go? That is simply mind blowing to me. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford to drop that kind of money on a single card I certainly would entertain the thought of owing one of the most iconic cards in baseball card history especially in an extremely high grade.

Guesses anybody?

RE: 1952 Topps Mantle Anyone?
I say $600,000. IF they pay.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Who the heck is bidding that high? Those are valued at $350,000 and you can get them online at any major auction house.

(10-31-2015, 01:46 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Who the heck is bidding that high? Those are valued at $350,000 and you can get them online at any major auction house.
Can't see who is bidding. Just that there are 14 different bidders, 56 total bids. Started at $.99. It is really crazy as you are 100% correct being able to get them for less elsewhere.

PWCC always gets high bids on their cards. That being said the current high bidder has an 83 % bid activity with the seller & 9 bid retractions. The next two bidders have 100% & 95% bid activity with the seller and the 95% bidder has 18 bid retractions.

(10-31-2015, 01:57 PM)cardsfan73 Wrote: PWCC always gets high bids on their cards. That being said the current high bidder has an 83 % bid activity with the seller & 9 bid retractions. The next two bidders have 100% & 95% bid activity with the seller and the 95% bidder has 18 bid retractions.
I haven't looked at the specifics, but that's why I said, "IF they pay".
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(10-31-2015, 01:57 PM)cardsfan73 Wrote: PWCC always gets high bids on their cards. That being said the current high bidder has an 83 % bid activity with the seller & 9 bid retractions. The next two bidders have 100% & 95% bid activity with the seller and the 95% bidder has 18 bid retractions.
Does this equate into the auction just being bid up by people that "know" the seller? But I guess that doesn't make sense if it's being sold by PWCC.
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

(10-31-2015, 02:00 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: I haven't looked at the specifics, but that's why I said, "IF they pay".
I figure that was what you were saying, w/o saying. Not that I woul be bidding on this card, but I always stay away from auctions by the big ebay consignors when the bid history shows bidders with a high % of activity and a lot of bid retractions.

The one bidder with 100% activity doesn't bother me so much because they have only made 5 bids in the last month. Probably a high end collector who is chasing the high grade/high dollar stuff they offer. But when I see bidders with 100+ bids in 30 days and over 80% of them with one seller that throws up a red flag for me. Add to that numerous bid retractions and that tells me all I need to know. I have been on ebay for over 10 years and only have 1 bid retraction (using the ebay app and I accidently bid $1200 instead of $12.00 yikes!)

All that being said the seller does sell high quality stuff and has great feedback so I guess when you have enough money you don't worry about little things like potential shill bidding.
(10-31-2015, 02:14 PM)woogie23 Wrote: Does this equate into the auction just being bid up by people that "know" the seller?
It could be totally legit bidding or it could be who ever consigned the card to the seller running up the bids or it's possible it's exactly what you said.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what's going on. I just checked Mile High and they just sold a PSA 8 for $309,000 including the buyer's premium. They get top dollar for their cards.

Could it just be someone people are just jacking the card up so it will be an article in the News or sports catalogs like Beckett, Sports Illustrated and the news giants.

Reason I say that because another one i has a buy it now for 1/3 of the cost the other one is being auctioned off. Both are grade 8

I dont think it will go very much higher but then again I have been wrong in the past. It could be Charlie Sheen or Emilio Estevez bidding on the card too.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]