`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Topps Update Series -- Worth Exploring?

2012 Topps Update Series -- Worth Exploring?
When I decided to get back into the hobby a couple of years ago, it was obvious that I could go on Amazon or eBay to look for cards. However, part of the fun when I was a kid was going to an actual baseball card shop, but now only one of those still exists in my city. Fortunately, the guy that runs it has a very large inventory, including several boxes of the 2012 Topps Update Series. I came across this article this morning, but to me the series sounds like a good one to collect. What do you all think about this series?

http://www.talkingchop.com/2012/10/14/35...ate-series

RE: 2012 Topps Update Series -- Worth Exploring?
I personally do not like the variations and short prints. I consider my set complete without those. The stupidest in my opinion are the "sparkle" variations. Why bother? The 2012 Topps Update set? You've got to have it if you're going to have the complete line of Topps base sets. I wish they'd release it in factory set form like they used to.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I always like Update.....my problem with 2012 flagship (S1, S2 and Update) is that the design really turned me off in the sense that I really don't care to look at them now (doesn't mean I don't have tons of them....LOL). As a team collector any product is ok by me, some I just get the cards of PC stuff, others I try to put sets together.

I always say collect what and how you like and I agree, going to the card shop is always a pleasent experience that brings back great memories. I vote go for it (esp if you can get them cheap)
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Yeah, update is always a favorite of mine. 2012? Not my favorite design of the past 5 years. I love 2011 & 2013. Im sorta neutral about 2014. 2015 I liked the least. Agree that all the inserts, sparkles, variants can get tedious ... But 2011 had the best inserts and variants. The Kimball cards, the cognac, sapphire, Berra, Mantle, Cobb, etc. 2011 is what got me re-started and hooked again after a loooooong time away.

My Flagship ranking

But back to your question ... 2012 Update? Go for it. There's lots of Trout & Harper cards to be found, so worth a shot, if the price is right. The only downside ... Redemption cards were plentiful ... And now all expired. You might not get the hits you expect. So make sure the price reflects that possible negative.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I have been collecting the Topps Traded/Update sets since the 80s. It was easy when they put out a factory set. However since 2001 I have bought boxes and put the set together myself. Sometimes I try and get all the inserts, sometimes I try and get all the variations, and every so often if I really like the set I will try and put together a parallel set (still working on my 2011 Diamond Anniversary parallel set). The update sets are usually loaded with rookies and there are usually a few first rookie cards for some players that missed the regular Topps set that year (Mike Trout in 2011 is one of the biggest).
The funny thing about the 2012 set is that I have completed the sets up to 2011, and completed the 2013 and 2014 sets (including the Chrome sets), however aside from a few blaster boxes I haven't bought much of the 2012 cards yet and am behind with putting that set together. I think it must've been because I bought so many boxes of 2011 that I wasn't buying much new product in 2012.
All that being said, if the price is good then grab some. Boxes of Topps Update are usually a lot of fun to open, and if you don't like them you can always send them to me, so I can get started on my 2012 set. ;-)
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/