`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predicting future value of a base RC

Predicting future value of a base RC
Assuming player A is going to have a HOF career and become a cherished American athlete ala Jeter/Berra etc... which base card do you think will have the higher value at a graded 10? Will it be his standard Topps base card? Or will it be something like Chrome or Archives etc?

I'm just curious because I like collecting base RC and predicting which ones will have the most value but I'm really unsure in this department. I would think that the standard Topps base card would be the one most sought after 20 years down the line but, I really don't know.

What do you guys think?

RE: Predicting future value of a base RC
Usually the rarer one. I'd say chrome in this case. Archives is too gimmicky.

1993 Bowman #511 Derek Jeter RC BV $30
1993 Pinnacle #457 Derek Jeter RC BV $30
1993 Score #489 Derek Jeter RC BV $15
1993 Select #360 Derek Jeter RC BV $12
1993 SP #279 Derek Jeter FOIL RC ! BV $200
1993 Topps #98 Derek Jeter RC BV $20
1993 Upper Deck #449 Derek Jeter RC ! BV $20
1993 Upper Deck Gold Hologram #449 Derek Jeter ! BV $150

I would say proof is in the pudding? You figure good ole Jeter's rookie cards were 20+ years ago (I don't do math, adding 2 to 20 is more fingers and toes then I have). I'm thinking maybe the "SP" or the Upper Deck Gold Hologram of that year is somewhat like the Chrome or Finest of today. In the end it just turns into personal preference. I don't mind the look of Archives, to me Gypsy Queen looks more gimmicky then Archives. Just my two pennies...
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

(09-27-2015, 08:25 AM)woogie23 Wrote: 1993 Bowman #511 Derek Jeter RC BV $30
1993 Pinnacle #457 Derek Jeter RC BV $30
1993 Score #489 Derek Jeter RC BV $15
1993 Select #360 Derek Jeter RC BV $12
1993 SP #279 Derek Jeter FOIL RC ! BV $200
1993 Topps #98 Derek Jeter RC BV $20
1993 Upper Deck #449 Derek Jeter RC ! BV $20
1993 Upper Deck Gold Hologram #449 Derek Jeter ! BV $150

I would say proof is in the pudding? You figure good ole Jeter's rookie cards were 20+ years ago (I don't do math, adding 2 to 20 is more fingers and toes then I have). I'm thinking maybe the "SP" or the Upper Deck Gold Hologram of that year is somewhat like the Chrome or Finest of today. In the end it just turns into personal preference. I don't mind the look of Archives, to me Gypsy Queen looks more gimmicky then Archives. Just my two pennies...
I dont mind archives at all. I think they're kinda cool. What I meant by gimmicky is that they throw in a ton of previously used designs to attract the attention of collectors that may be sentimental about years of past collecting. I know when I see the 80's designs with like a Bryce Harper auto on it it peaks my interest. It's designed to be fun.

I'm not sure I think Gypsy Queen looks more gimmicky because it has an original design and there is some monster hits to be had in it. The set isn't a hodge podge of differently designed cards, it's just a tribute to the old tobacco cards. That being said, I absolutely hate Gypsy Queen.

Ahhh I see what ya mean there with gimmicky now. Not necessarily gimmicky as far as looks, just as a way to get different style collectors to buy. And yes, I don't care for gypsy queen either. I actually like Diamond Kings better as far as that "old style" look. Maybe cause I liked the 80's and 90's DK's in Donruss.
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

Considering most rookies now have autographed rookie cards, and prospect cards, and limited parallels, it really just depends on how much you want to spend up front. Topps Chrome will be worth more than Topps, but it will cost more to buy up front. The higher tier the product the more expensive the rookie will be. That being said if you're only considering the value of a graded 10 card, then the value will also have to do with how hard it is to get the card in Gem Mint/Pristine condition. One of the reasons a 1993 SP rookie of Jeter is worth so much more than his other rookies (aside from it coming from a higher end product) is because of the condition sensitivity. Similarly the 1993 Pinnacle card with its black borders is worth more in GemMint condition than Topps and other entry level brands is because if how tough it is to get a 10 with the black borders.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(09-27-2015, 11:07 AM)djohn Wrote: Considering most rookies now have autographed rookie cards, and prospect cards, and limited parallels, it really just depends on how much you want to spend up front. Topps Chrome will be worth more than Topps, but it will cost more to buy up front. The higher tier the product the more expensive the rookie will be. That being said if you're only considering the value of a graded 10 card, then the value will also have to do with how hard it is to get the card in Gem Mint/Pristine condition. One of the reasons a 1993 SP rookie of Jeter is worth so much more than his other rookies (aside from it coming from a higher end product) is because of the condition sensitivity. Similarly the 1993 Pinnacle card with its black borders is worth more in GemMint condition than Topps and other entry level brands is because if how tough it is to get a 10 with the black borders.
So, is really all just boils down to scarcity? I knew that a low pop count played a huge role in the value of a card but I really didn't think it was the be all, end all.