`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about rookie cards.

Question about rookie cards.
I'm working on a pc of catcher rookie cards. I've notice with a few players the there are no cards designated as the rookie card even though they have a base card in a main set. For example, Caleb Joseph of the O's has prospect cards in 2010 Bowman. I get that he hasn't played a major league game so there's to RC designation for that card. Next he has a base card in 2015 Topps. Shouldn't that be designated as a RC or am I missing something? Any help appreciated.
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

RE: Question about rookie cards.
If I had to guess it would be because he qualified to be a rc last year. He just wasn't inserted into sets.

I think it is because the base Topps card comes out way before the season starts thus is still doesn't qualify by MLB rules.
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

(09-20-2015, 09:52 PM)crossada Wrote: I think it is because the base Topps card comes out way before the season starts thus is still doesn't qualify by MLB rules.
He qualified in 2014.

But wouldn't his first card as an MLB player still be his rookie card? I know these examples are older (and not all baseball)but these are rookie cards well after the person's career was underway.

1933 Goudey Ruth
Hockey 1974/75 OPC and Topps Don Cherry
1969 OPC and Topps Nolan Ryan--He first appeared in 66 as a Met
All 1984 Mattingly's (he first appeared as a Yankee in 1982)

These are just some high profile cards I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure for "regular everyday" players there are tons of examples.

My guess is probably just an error in Beckett database (with millions of cards to catalouge it happens)
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(09-20-2015, 10:04 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: But wouldn't his first card as an MLB player still be his rookie card? I know these examples are older (and not all baseball)but these are rookie cards well after the person's career was underway.

1933 Goudey Ruth
Hockey 1974/75 OPC and Topps Don Cherry
1969 OPC and Topps Nolan Ryan--He first appeared in 66 as a Met
All 1984 Mattingly's (he first appeared as a Yankee in 1982)

These are just some high profile cards I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure for "regular everyday" players there are tons of examples.

My guess is probably just an error in Beckett database (with millions of cards to catalouge it happens)
I would think so but what I'm saying is it was an oversight by Topps that they didn't care to correct. Also to add to the confusion, 1933 Goudey wasn't Ruth's first appearance on a baseball card. He had several before then including as far back as his 1916 M101-4 Sporting News.

Also keep in mind card companies are supposed to be following the same standard of rc status as the MLB uses to declare rc's. Yes they jump the gun on some players that look to be obvious stars but a players first appearance on a card isn't necessarily his rc card unless he gets his 130 at bats, 50 innings pitched that year or accumulates more than 45 days on the active 25 man roster.