`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember when pitchers would go deeper into games?

RE: Remember when pitchers would go deeper into games?
I think they are too coddled in their youth days and don't understand that throwing fire every pitch is not the smartest thing to do. They need to learn more than a fastball, curve and changeup and paint those corners! heh..
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

(08-19-2015, 04:54 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: I wish that I had never read this thread. I may have to put that guy on my 52 Member Ignore list.
+1000

Any business owner that pays millions for a piece of "equipment" is going to try to try to reduce wear and tear for the sake on longevity.

My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

(08-19-2015, 05:18 PM)Nintari Wrote: He may not have used, but if he didn't, he singlehandedly broke all known laws of biology.
THIS is my point of the thread. Many pitchers from his era defied logic. They played WAY longer in there careers. Ryan's stikes stayed consistant throught his career because his mechanics allowed him to keep throwing heaters. It was not PEDs otherwise his complete games would not have started tapering by 1979. He was in his prime back then. As he got older he showed signs of aging. He still could bring it, just not for as long into a game like he once did.

Look at the numbers tha Babe Ruth put up in his career, and those are from when they started keeping records. He was already halfway through his career before they kept stats. And the HRs that did not count because after clearing the fence they hooked and landed in foul territory, those were fouls in those days. Well The Bambino must have been juiced as well, huh?

Ted Williams played 18 years, yet his final season he hit the eigth most HRs in his career. He was popping pill too, I guess. My point to all of this is that just because someone is talented, does not mean they are cheating. Is it not fair enough to say they were just damn good ballplayers?
(08-19-2015, 05:33 PM)redsoxfan1534 Wrote: It is very plausible thar he did take PED's. Read above.

His velocity stayed the same despite all of the years of the craft, which is next to impossible, and he played before any testing whatsoever so there would have been no penalty to dissuade him from doing so.
I'm not saying he did take PED's or he didn't, but it is believable.

As for the pitchers not throwing as many pitches as they used to, players these days throw much harder than they used to. There are many pitchers that can touch upwards of 97, but can't throw more than a few innings so they become relievers. Whenever a starter goes through a lineup for the 3rd or 4th time, the hitters chances are greatly improved to be successful. Why not sub in that guy throwing 97+ when your starter was throwing low 90s to offset the pace? There are much better odds to get hitters out. Back in the 80's and 90's, and even early 2000's, the relievers were simply starters that didn't have the stamina to be starters. They came in when a pitcher was getting knocked around, but these days the relievers are relievers for a reason and come in before a pitcher faces trouble.
They are all using nothing but arm strength. Very few pitcher utilize their legs anymore. Ones that do that come to mind are Price and Kershaw. But they are both great, so they must be popping some steroids. SMH

(08-19-2015, 10:49 PM)GoStros Wrote: THIS is my point of the thread. Many pitchers from his era defied logic. They played WAY longer in there careers. Ryan's stikes stayed consistant throught his career because his mechanics allowed him to keep throwing heaters. It was not PEDs otherwise his complete games would not have started tapering by 1979. He was in his prime back then. As he got older he showed signs of aging. He still could bring it, just not for as long into a game like he once did.

Look at the numbers tha Babe Ruth put up in his career, and those are from when they started keeping records. He was already halfway through his career before they kept stats. And the HRs that did not count because after clearing the fence they hooked and landed in foul territory, those were fouls in those days. Well The Bambino must have been juiced as well, huh?

Ted Williams played 18 years, yet his final season he hit the eigth most HRs in his career. He was popping pill too, I guess. My point to all of this is that just because someone is talented, does not mean they are cheating. Is it not fair enough to say they were just damn good ballplayers?

They are all using nothing but arm strength. Very few pitcher utilize their legs anymore. Ones that do that come to mind are Price and Kershaw. But they are both great, so they must be popping some steroids. SMH
The Babe retired the year the first anabolic steroid was invented so no, he couldn't have used them.

A for Ryan, I don't know if he used them but I wouldn't be shocked if we all found out that he did. It's sad, but it's the times we're living in now. Sosa, Big Mac, Bonds, Clemens, Canseco... all these guys have made it so the first thing we think when we see something amazing is go "Hmmm, I wonder". It's just the way it is now.

Since PEDs were being widely used in the 70's, and even as far back as the 60's, we unfortunately have this cloud of suspicion where anyone who played from that era forward has doubt cast upon their achievements.

(08-19-2015, 10:49 PM)GoStros Wrote: THIS is my point of the thread. Many pitchers from his era defied logic. They played WAY longer in there careers. Ryan's stikes stayed consistant throught his career because his mechanics allowed him to keep throwing heaters. It was not PEDs otherwise his complete games would not have started tapering by 1979. He was in his prime back then. As he got older he showed signs of aging. He still could bring it, just not for as long into a game like he once did.

No, I do not believe that any of those players took steroids. But, Williams and Ruth were both hitters, thus they weren't constantly straining a single part of their body for many years. Finding a pitcher that gained, or even sustained, velocity over a 20+ year career is like finding a needle in a haystack; it has only happened probably 5 times in baseball history, and the only two I know of are Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens. I'll say it again: I wouldn't be surprised if it came about that he did take steroids, but I do not personally believe he did.
[Image: PIpbkRH.png]

Also collecting the top prospects for the Sox.
I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation. — Satchel Paige
Special thanks to jbel for the sweet sig!

(08-19-2015, 10:33 PM)GoStros Wrote: +1000
[Image: I%20Approve%20this%20message_zpshmqvbxri.jpg]
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(08-20-2015, 07:51 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: [Image: I%20Approve%20this%20message_zpshmqvbxri.jpg]
Nolan, Nolan Ryan is still one of the best pitchers ever!
[Image: PIpbkRH.png]

Also collecting the top prospects for the Sox.
I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation. — Satchel Paige
Special thanks to jbel for the sweet sig!

(08-20-2015, 08:43 AM)redsoxfan1534 Wrote: Nolan, Nolan Ryan is still one of the best pitchers ever!
Yeah, even if he retired before his resurgence, he would still have been a lock for the HOF.

(08-20-2015, 01:33 PM)Nintari Wrote: Yeah, even if he retired before his resurgence, he would still have been a lock for the HOF.
Not really sure what you mean by resurgence? Here is his career stats. Looks fairly consistent to me.

[Image: ryan.jpg]