Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Kindness Is Not Unconditional

My Kindness Is Not Unconditional
***EDIT***

I would love to thank all of you for the great outpour of support! It really hit home with the other member, and a resolve was easily achieved. As I stated, there was no bashing to be taken into account, as I was just a tad upset about the situation that seemed to be stemming.

Again, this is the best online community in the hobby, and I am more than happy to call everyone here friends! It is truly an honour to have so many members feel the need to send their best wishes and vouch of me. This place gives me a great deal of joy, the members make the difficult times feel much better, and I have a place where I can truly be myself and do what I can for others! Thank you all!

Sincerely,

Randi

So that is a bit of a conundrum, but it is how I am feeling. I think that most everyone here would agree that I am a pretty stand-up guy who likes to help others out. I usually do not ask for anything in return, but if I do, I expect this to happen.

The reason that I am writing this is because of a transaction that I made more than a year ago. I sent a member some 2013-14 Young Guns to help him with his set, but the member had nothing that I really needed. So we left it at and IOU to be worked out later. Well, I hit some nice cards that this member wanted, and the kindness and IOU were ignored even when brought up. I let it be known then that I was not happy with the conduct, and told the member to just forget about it. There was an apology, and an attempt to renegotiate a trade... with the same cards and ignorance of the IOU. NOt cool. I cancelled the trade and left it where it sat.

Fast forward to today, and I get a small trade offer from the member. I add a card that I am really wanting, but get it yanked from the trade because "I can't do that." Okay, that is understandable. So I add another card with the reminder of the IOU. In return I get a pot-shot about the "common" Young Guns (Tyler Johnson, Marec Mazanec, and a few others...) and how they, plus the others are not worth the cards that I was adding. Granted I was interested in a Topps Roy and Lemieux RC, but I also asked if there was anything else that interested the other member.

With the snide comment about the "common" Young Guns (again... Tyler Johnson!) I asked the member to no longer contact me, and I would chalk it up as a loss... And a lesson. It also left me with a very bad taste in my mouth, because I have been dealing with this member on great terms for a few years now.

Now that that is said, I want to clarify the title. I am not vowing, nor will I ever, that this experience will catastrophize my enjoyment from helping others and backing the Pay It Forward experience. What I am saying is that I will not be walked on. I will feel people out and lead my own conclusions as to how I should deal with them. You do it, everyone does it. We are dealing with a hobby that has more scam artists per-capita than most any other business venture. People that are genuinely wanting to help and are only about the hobby are truly hard to find. I concede that I am one of those hobbyists that is genuine, but I am also guarded.

So I will never deter from the road that I have chosen to walk in this hobby, and I will never deter from who I am. If I do something for you and ask that you do something for others, please do so. It feels a lot better than taking someone for $60+ worth of Young Guns. If I get something to you and let you know that you have an IOU to me, you do. I expect it to be paid.

To the member that this is regarding: you have not been outed, as that is not my style. I take things on one-to-one. This thread is just a reminder of who I am. Should you want to discuss any further it is up to you, but you had better come up with something that I will respond to, as you are not in my good books. It takes a LOT for me to not want to deal with you, and dishonesty is number one on my $&@?-list.

Thank you for reading my rant! Haha! Best wishes to ALL of the Beckett Community!

Randi

RE: My Kindness Is Not Unconditional
Hang in there Randi!

I was just looking at my Jeff Gordon race-used firesuit card the other day and reminiscing about all the cool stuff you sent me just to help me out!

(08-11-2015, 01:47 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Hang in there Randi!

I was just looking at my Jeff Gordon race-used firesuit card the other day and reminiscing about all the cool stuff you sent me just to help me out!
Thank you for the kind words, RJ! I am not sure that it was me who sent you the Gordon. Haha!

Randi

Though we haven't made any trade that I know of; you've always been a standup guy and helped me with anything I needed in regards to this site. You are one of the people I can absolutely trust and you're one of the class acts in this hobby!

Some people are ignorant! I, like you, don't have a problem sending some extras to someone. Or if someone wants a bunch of base cards - have them for free! I'm sure this user is a little embarrassed by this thread and so should he/she be
[Image: ducksbann.png]

Collecting
2010-11 SP Authentic Future Watch Autos 30/62 = 48.38%
Cam Fowler Count: 32

Photobucket Link
http://photobucket.com/DucksFan87

(08-11-2015, 01:50 PM)rayeates Wrote: Thank you for the kind words, RJ! I am not sure that it was me who sent you the Gordon. Haha!

Randi
Sure it was, maybe a couple of years ago now? You sent me the Gordon, RCs of Vince Carter and LeBron James, a Joe Thornton auto and I can't recall what else for maybe 2-3 dozen hockey stars and RCs ... I really appreciated the deal.

RJ: Oh... That was about three years ago now. I bought a collection from the LCS and it had a bunch of other sports. Glad that it made a lasting impression!

@Ducks_Fan: I am a bit reluctant to call it ignorance, as it is not something that I know for sure. Whatever the case, I am just going to wipe my hands with the situation and always focus on the positives! If I can be of assistance I am always happy to do so.

Randi

We have had some good trades Randi. And many more will follow! Stick to your morals and you will never be wrong. Smile

Randi, hopefully you guys can come to an understanding and things will work out in the end.

That's not a good feeling at all.... Hope it all works out Randi, this is a great community. I haven't much for new cards, hence the lack of me showing my face around :p stay positive bro!

Things are definitely looking up and positive! Thank you all for the uplifting comments, and for the member for understanding and getting in touch with me. Best wishes, Beckett Community!

Randi