`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So glad I stopped super collecting!!!

RE: So glad I stopped super collecting!!!
(07-26-2015, 09:28 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: It's just an impossible task, especially when your trying to pc a superstar like Goldie. Everyone wants to get in on him making his rarer cards impossible to get and his attainable cards harder to afford. I imagine trying to super collect drains the life right out of you at times. Keeping your options open and not having to have such narrow vision (for what your willing to take in) is a lot less stressful. Being able to make deals just because they make sense or even just because you like a particular card on a particular day makes the game fun. Plus, you don't have the burden of taking in cards that you really don't like to try and maintain that supercollector status in your mind.
It really is! At first his stuff was easy to get but now there is tons of competition. That's part of what made me say no mas, just don't have the chips for his better stuff. It does drain your desire to collect at times I think that's why I have quit a few times, just sucks the fun right out of the hobby!
(07-26-2015, 10:01 PM)redsoxfan1534 Wrote: Good for you dude! As long as you are happy wih your collection.

BTW, you should buy an XboxSmile
I was thinking about it but in the end I'm a playstation man at heart. I'm really happy now, thank bud!
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

It's just an impossible task, especially when your trying to pc a superstar like Goldie. Everyone wants to get in on him making his rarer cards impossible to get and his attainable cards harder to afford. I imagine trying to super collect drains the life right out of you at times. Keeping your options open and not having to have such narrow vision (for what your willing to take in) is a lot less stressful. Being able to make deals just because they make sense or even just because you like a particular card on a particular day makes the game fun. Plus, you don't have the burden of taking in cards that you really don't like to try and maintain that supercollector status in your mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I SuperCollect Beckett Graded Nolan Ryans and I only get ones I like.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(07-27-2015, 09:38 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: It's just an impossible task, especially when your trying to pc a superstar like Goldie. Everyone wants to get in on him making his rarer cards impossible to get and his attainable cards harder to afford. I imagine trying to super collect drains the life right out of you at times. Keeping your options open and not having to have such narrow vision (for what your willing to take in) is a lot less stressful. Being able to make deals just because they make sense or even just because you like a particular card on a particular day makes the game fun. Plus, you don't have the burden of taking in cards that you really don't like to try and maintain that supercollector status in your mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I SuperCollect Beckett Graded Nolan Ryans and I only get ones I like.
Maybe I'm a little out of touch with the term "super collector" then. I was led to believe that if you were a super collector you tried for every card produced of a given player. Certain restrictions could apply such as no cards produced by any unlicensed MLB, NBA, NFL, etc. I take in as many big dollar Stanton and Trout cards as I can but I don't consider myself a super collector.

I kinda did the opposite of you. I got rid of everything other than my Matt Carpenter cards. I'm only trying to collect as many different Carpener cards that I can. I'm done buying packs/boxes completely. The only baseball cards I have now are my Carpenters. I was just sick of having boxes of cards just sitting around that I wasn't going to do anything with. No point in spending money to have stuff just sitting around when I could just buy what I wanted instead. I love the fun of opening packs, but it's just not worth it anymore.

(07-27-2015, 09:55 AM)slufan83 Wrote: I kinda did the opposite of you. I got rid of everything other than my Matt Carpenter cards. I'm only trying to collect as many different Carpener cards that I can. I'm done buying packs/boxes completely. The only baseball cards I have now are my Carpenters. I was just sick of having boxes of cards just sitting around that I wasn't going to do anything with. No point in spending money to have stuff just sitting around when I could just buy what I wanted instead. I love the fun of opening packs, but it's just not worth it anymore.
Me exactly except switch Kershaw for Carpenter. I got so tired of spending the money for no name autos and cards I had no use for. I know I'm never going to get every Kershaw but I like having a focus. I have a few other projects as well but I am pretty much done with buying boxes. But I do respect that everyone is different and I am glad there are people out there busting boxes so I can keep up to date with my Kershaw collection.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

That's how I look at it. I know I won't get "every" different card of Carpenter, but searching for ones I don't have and obtaining one when it does pop up for sale is more exciting to me than dropping $100 on a box and getting a couple $10 autographs and box full of useless base that will just sit. Trading does me no good anymore because there is literally no Carpenter cards marked for trade on Beckett that I even need.

(07-27-2015, 11:00 AM)slufan83 Wrote: That's how I look at it. I know I won't get "every" different card of Carpenter, but searching for ones I don't have and obtaining one when it does pop up for sale is more exciting to me than dropping $100 on a box and getting a couple $10 autographs and box full of useless base that will just sit. Trading does me no good anymore because there is literally no Carpenter cards marked for trade on Beckett that I even need.
That's exactly how I view my Beckett Graded Nolan Ryans.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I'm glad my supercollection largely sidesteps the nonsense.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

I try and get every card of yelich I can get my hands on, but there are really only a select few that I feel I have to have and will overpay for. I don't sweat the 1/1's or plates too much either. I don't need to have the biggest, baddest yelich PC on the planet... Just one I enjoy looking at/going through.

After 2015, I'm planning on slowing down and just picking up some nice singles.

Glad you're back to enjoying the hobby more! It is meant to be fun, not stressful!
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

The idea of being a super collector has always scared me. I know the parallels and excessive amount of products would drive me crazy.

A few years ago, I picked a player but gave myself a ten card limit. I would always look for his cards but I told myself I could only keep ten. When I hit 11 cards, I would sell one. It was fun because I would still have the thrill of the hunt but I wasn't stressed with having to get every card I could afford.

I will probably start another Ten Only project later this year.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2