`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olberman's Will Ferrell auto set complete

RE: Olberman's Will Ferrell auto set complete
(07-17-2015, 09:04 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: It's because of his celebrity that he was 'afforded' the opportunity to spend $15K on baseball cards. "Personal Dedication!"????? Yeah, really quite the commitment to type the search bar of eBay! How did he do THAT? ... and all by himself, without the aid of his personal assistant!! WOW! For that, Olberman would have been the recipient of ESPY Courage Award, if not being edged out by Bruce Jenner. Smile

Now, if this took place in the early '90s before computer-aided purchasing ... I'd be impressed. If he had to scoure card shows across the country ... I'd be impressed. I'm glad there are collectors out there with money to throw into the community, it's good for the hobby, but impressive? Not so much, IMO!
and to top that off, there hasnt exactly been a shortage of these hitting ebay. It seems like every person that hit one threw it up there for 1-2k and sold it.

I never really thought about it from the money perspective, but now that I do the feat doesn't seem nearly as hard. When I first posted I was under the impression that only a small number of these had been found. I looked it up soon afterwards, and a large portion of the 100 had been bought/ sold.

So, not nearly as impressive as I had first thought at all.
[Image: PIpbkRH.png]

Also collecting the top prospects for the Sox.
I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation. — Satchel Paige
Special thanks to jbel for the sweet sig!

It's impressive....to an extent. Pretty neat that he has them all, but I agree with most here that he's got the money to buy, overspend, call it what you want. More power to him as I like the guy from a sports standpoint.

For me, it would be more impressive to hear about someone who sacrificed other parts of his/her own collection to finally run down those last few star cards to complete, say, a 1954 Topps set. Someone who saved here and sold there to finally accomplish something that means a lot to them. Maybe that was year that he saw his first game with his dad and thought finishing that set would mean more.

(07-17-2015, 02:02 PM)redsoxfan1534 Wrote: I never really thought about it from the money perspective, but now that I do the feat doesn't seem nearly as hard. When I first posted I was under the impression that only a small number of these had been found. I looked it up soon afterwards, and a large portion of the 100 had been bought/ sold.

So, not nearly as impressive as I had first thought at all.

It is actually quite surprising how many have hit the market, which means there has got to be hardly any left in packs/boxes