`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ripping Apart More 1 of 1's, plus a Custom Frame and ... a Lego Relic Card?

Ripping Apart More 1 of 1's, plus a Custom Frame and ... a Lego Relic Card?
This week, I had several things going on. I updated my checklist up to 2014, which took HOURS, but it was worth it. The only downside I see is how many cards are out there that I will never see. Did you know that Canseco has over 300 cards that are 1/1's alone? Crazy! Hopefully my checklist will assist others when they are digging in their collections to sell me Canseco cards I don't have.

One of the cards that came in this week was a 2015 Gypsy Queen Canseco autographed mini #/10. Topps never put it in a frame, so I bought a donor GQ card, pulled out the mini relic and wrapped it around my new Canseco mini Auto. I think it looks MUCH better than just some tiny card floating in a regular sized card holder.

[Image: Untitled-1.jpg]

Speaking of frames, I ended up having some fun with the lego theme, and started thinking what if I actually embedded a lego piece IN the card? It could be a "game used relic".

So...I did.

[Image: 20150628_012803.jpg]

I think it was good for a laugh at least! I did have another donor frame come in, though and it was a 2006 Allen & Ginter frame again. This time, it was to house the mini I had Canseco sign.

[Image: 20150628_013440.jpg]

I LOVE how it came out. Red ink, the 1/1 notation. If you look closely, you will see a mustache. Jose said "Ahh, I see the mustache...that's old school!" I don't think he knew that the mustache wasn't his. Truth be told, it is mine.

Perhaps one of the most anticipated mini customs for me to finish up is the card I made from a piece of the game used bat I chopped up. It is thicker than a regular mini, so I ended up having to design and make a custom frame for it. I didn't want something that looked like it was created in celebration of the supreme court's recent decision like the A&G frame, but I also didn't want something as plain as the GQ frame, either.

After several iterations, here is what I came up with: Oh yeah, Canseco signed his game used bat card, of course!

[Image: woodfront.jpg]

I love how the refractive qualities of the frame go with the wood of the card & hope a real card company will do something similar with their frames.

[Image: woodback.jpg]

[EDIT] It apparently made many people sad about 1/1's being destroyed, so I'm taking them down.[/EDIT]

I also made a knob card of Canseco. The cool thing for me about this one is that I was able to use a picture that my wife took of him when we were at his house.

[Image: 20150516_122014.jpg]

I had him hand number the knob slice, photoshopped the Yankees hat on him, and voila!

[Image: 20150624_155005.jpg]

[Image: 20150624_154909.jpg]

That's all for this week, kids. Don't forget to tune in here next week when I attempt to make a custom Mike Trout 1/1 out of a real fish and some relish!
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

RE: Ripping Apart More 1 of 1's, plus a Custom Frame and ... a Lego Relic Card?
Hey Tanner,

Everything looks Amazing as usual!! But, I thought you would have had Canseco in his A's Jersey on that bat knob.

Superior work as usual!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(06-28-2015, 09:30 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Hey Tanner,

Everything looks Amazing as usual!! But, I thought you would have had Canseco in his A's Jersey on that bat knob.

Superior work as usual!!
Thanks! I actually have a few other bat knob pieces to play with - I think I have 5 more pieces or so.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile

Those Ginter frames look very nice, and the idea for the game used bat is amazing! That Lego brick relic is freakin' awesome too!
[Image: PIpbkRH.png]

Also collecting the top prospects for the Sox.
I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation. — Satchel Paige
Special thanks to jbel for the sweet sig!

Love the Lego card!
Mostly football and a set builder

Amazing work!

On a side note have people ever got mad at the destruction of a 1/1 card such as the Molitor and Morneau shown above?

(06-28-2015, 12:41 PM)crossada Wrote: Amazing work!

On a side note have people ever got mad at the destruction of a 1/1 card such as the Molitor and Morneau shown above?
Oh, you bet. Mainly on the Blowout Forums Smile There are more ... opinionated folks there, than anywhere else in the collecting universe, I think. I love it there too though, and I think it may just be the mass amount of people there.

Some people act as if I ran over their pet cat, got out of the car and just laughed at its lifeless body. I mentioned something similar happening in the automotive world as well. If you take a stock sports car, and modify it at all, there are purists out there who will cry foul. To some, it is straight up sacrilege. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, though!

How can we go ahead and get you a MLBPA license? You do way better work then Topps.
Colleting all Topps Cubs cards from the main set and Traded/Update
Main Set - 1415/1672 84.6%
Years Completed - 51, 76-94, 96, 99, 00, 04, 06, 07, 09, 12
Traded/Update - 90/234 38.4%

(06-28-2015, 03:44 PM)rynocollector Wrote: How can we go ahead and get you a MLBPA license? You do way better work then Topps.
Crowd-funding, crowd-funding, crowd-funding! I bet we could get about 10 grand that way. Then, all we need is another 10 million bucks Smile (I actually don't know how much they go for, but heck - I'd love a hand at designing an insert set for Topps one day.)

I do not particularly care for the destruction of 1/1's, particularly when they are of HOF'ers. However, you do nice work and they are the buyers to do with as they please. But I have to ask, aren't you afraid of being sued being that your using unlicensed MLB logo's and selling your cards?