`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Beware Fake Cobb t206

Beware Fake Cobb t206
I was browsing through e-bay and noticed this card. 2 things stuck right out at me to make me believe this card is a fake and wanted to make everyone aware.
first thing I noticed is the Detroit are the same size as the D in the lettering. 2nd the card stock does not look right
then really paid attention to the card holder. It looks like a holder that would store a bowman gold card for the early 2000's where they were thicker than the base cards.

Me personally I would stay away from this card for too many red flags on it for my taste. I could be wrong but I do not think I am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ty-Cobb-1909-T20...1a00525974
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

RE: Beware Fake Cobb t206
I think your right. For a card that beat up the red ink on the back is to bold and clear. I've never seen centering that bad on any 206 backs either. That alone would not make me think it's a fake, but it does add an extra element of suspicion. The stock doesn't look right either as you mentioned.

Many of the t206's I've seen the color bleeds lightly outside the border. Even with all the distress it looks to perfect. However the seller isn't even sure if it is authentic so I don't think he's trying to scam anyone. But yes buyer beware.

Well, the D in Detroit is bigger than the rest of the word, from what I can see. I can't really comment on the card stock or the holder, as I don't feel there is sufficient details to distinguish either, but I will say the centering on the back is horrific. I also do not know much about these cards in regards to what to look for when determining their authenticity, but I just wanted to say the D in Detroit is in fact larger than the rest, as it should be.

With owning over 400 T-206s when I saw this it stuck out like a soar thumb. I didnt even look at the back.

Old Mill red backs are very rare. Why would someone not spend 25.00 to authenticate it and make 10x what it is going for now?

After looking at the Detroit it is pretty close but just by the scan that card stock is a dead giveaway. There is just something about that card that is not right.

at least he does state he does not know if it is authentic. I just wanted to be sure that whom shall get this do not expect the real thing.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Just throwing this 'out there' ...
If the reverse side is so off center to the left, wouldn't that correspond to being grossly off center to the right on the front of the card? Unless its a printing error vs. a miscut.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Another tip that his only two feedbacks are for bootcut jeans

(05-25-2015, 01:33 PM)natejeffries Wrote: Another tip that his only two feedbacks are for bootcut jeans
LOL!!!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

When they say they don't know if it's real they usually do know.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

(05-25-2015, 03:10 PM)randall44 Wrote: When they say they don't know if it's real they usually do know.
+1000000
That is exactly what I was going to say. Also, when someone puts a whole bunch of back story into an item, but then follows that up with uncertainty about authenticity that is a HUGE red flag.
The upside to eBay is that with eBay's easy refund and return policy someone could buy this and examine in person to determine authenticity and if they think it's fake just return it.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/