`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
How do you deal with ebay buyers whithholding feedback

How do you deal with ebay buyers whithholding feedback
I was checking out some info on my seller dashboard and noticed that I'm five transactions/$80 away from hitting top-rated seller status on ebay (no big deal, just a milestone I've been trying to hit). With that, I started to review my feedback and noticed something that's kind of a bummer: In the last year I've had 95 transactions, but only received feedback for 58. Thirty seven transactions in which I didn't receive feedback!

As a seller I try to provide the level of service I expect when buying on ebay, which is somewhat high but not unreasonable. My prices are consistent with, if not below, recent selling prices; I always ship through ebay so there's convenient access to tracking info; 95% of my listings have free shipping and are guaranteed to be shipped within 24 hrs. of cleared payment (my compliance data shows I hit that 100% of the time); and I package sales better than I do trades, using new supplies (mailer, sleeve, top loader, team bag) with sturdier cardboard for added support rather than recycled stuff.

Once the item has been delivered I usually wait a few days to a week before contacting the buyer with a message similar to this:

Thank you for your purchase, I see it was delivered successfully-
wanted to follow up to ensure you're satisfied with the [ITEM],
as well as the transaction in general.
Please let me know of any concerns; or, if everything was to your satisfaction,
please leave positive feedback and I will do the same for you!

Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy your [ITEM]!

I'd say that message works about 50-75% of the time... seems to come in waves. Last night I sent five of those follow-ups, so far no response.

Now, here's my question: what do you do, or could I do, to increase the odds of the buyer leaving feedback? Some sort of personal touch like a note in the mailer? A business card that politely requests leaving feedback?

I tend to think those things are a waste of materials when I get them in packages... but maybe they work?

RE: How do you deal with ebay buyers whithholding feedback
Honestly, It sucks but there is really nothing that you can do. I was in the same boat as you and only got feedback on about 60% of my transactions/sales. I finally got Top Rated Seller two months ago but sadly not sure if it will stick. I personally always leave positive feedback becasue I know how much it sucks not getting it.
Sorry. I know this wasn't helpful, but more letting you know that you are not the only one. And just an FYI I wouldnt waste the time with the "reminder" slips as IMO either they will or won't leave feedback based on the person. You may get a 1% uptick in feedback, is that worth the effort?

as a buyer and a seller on ebay, I'm not that into feedback one way or another. as a seller, yes, it's good to get feedback since it does count towards your top rated seller status, but in the end, you can't force someone to do it.

I have 6,000+ feedback. just about getting ready to drop a negative that was left for me by a disgruntled buyer who I tried to please...then some other buyer just left a neutral feedback but the wording was how it was a great transaction. I was perplexed, so I messaged the buyer to ask if the transaction was okay, to which he responded how great it was. he didn't take the hint, so I mentioned that if I could fix any issue he had it would be done and that he had actually left me neutral feedback. he apologized and asked if he could fix that. so I messaged him with what steps to take. no response, neutral is still there.

but like I said, you can only do so much. for me, I just make sure that I do the following:
1) respond to questions about an item that has already been sold;
2) ship item out the very next day it is paid for;
3) securely package the item.

I've worked in retail before, so I know how important it is to take care of those small things...

on the flip side, because as a seller I can't leave anything but a positive feedback for a buyer, I think the whole feedback thing is over rated and blown out of proportion. so unless a buyer contacts me specifically for feedback I just don't leave any feedback.

Ebay feedback is really a snapshot of society when it comes to customer feedback.

How many times do you get survey in the mail from a service company or hospital but throw it away? Or the phone calls asking for to take a short survey?

I would take the no feedback as good feedback. If they didn't like the item or service, they would be sure to tell you.

It sounds like you do all that you can do as a seller.

One suggestion may be to promote repeat customers and feedback at the same time.

Example:

"Six purchases with feedback in a three month period and I will give you (fill in the blank)"

What is your Ebay ID?
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

Oh I'm totally jacking your template! Tongue But I'm a buyer though, yet I feel what you're saying!
Wants:
2006 Bowman Sterling Red Refractors #RB1 JSY Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 SP Authentic Rookie Autographed NFL Logo Patches #252 JSY AU Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 Topps Red Hot Rookies Autographs #RB Reggie Bush/10

Ebay actually has made it harder for me to leave feedback, as they removed the simple "Leave Feedback" link on MyEbay page which used to allow me to get a complete list of all items awaiting feedback and go through and leave feedback quickly and efficiently. Instead they now want me to go through each individual auction leaving feedback, a process that takes considerably longer. It might not be a big deal for someone that only buys a couple items a month, but when I have 10-20 purchases every week, and some months over 100 purchases it is extremely time consuming.
Then there is this star rating stuff. I wish it would default to all 5 stars so I can just paste in a generic comment and be done. However now I have to click up to 4 more specific spots in order to leave stars before I can paste in a message. Again it might not seem like much, but it's just one more thing that adds to the time it takes to leave feedback. I used to try and leave feedback once a week, but sometimes I just don't have the time or am not thinking about it and it drags out for a couple weeks. However I always get around to it, it just might take a while.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(05-15-2015, 09:25 AM)djohn Wrote: Ebay actually has made it harder for me to leave feedback, as they removed the simple "Leave Feedback" link on MyEbay page which used to allow me to get a complete list of all items awaiting feedback and go through and leave feedback quickly and efficiently.
In the My eBay page there's an Account tab, and under that tab is a Feedback tab. Clicking on there gets you to all your items needing feedback and a Leave Feedback button.

Getting feedback on 2/3 of transactions is what we've seen on our eBay sales for the past decade. It seems to be pretty standard.

It does suck not getting the feedback. I don't sell a whole lot, but that makes the feedback more important to me. I haven't found anything that helps though. It is a pain as a buyer to leave feedback, especially if you do a lot of purchases over a short period of time. I always try to leave feedback, sometimes just because I get tired of the eBay reminders :p lol. But I guess it doesn't matter how it gets done, as long as it happens right? ;p

There are many reasons why someone does NOT leave feedback. That said, less than 66% actually leave feedback with the % dropping as the years go by.

What you are doing with the message is fine and good. A small not taped to the top loader can help a LITTLE as well.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

(05-16-2015, 09:51 AM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: In the My eBay page there's an Account tab, and under that tab is a Feedback tab. Clicking on there gets you to all your items needing feedback and a Leave Feedback button.
Thanks, that helps. If I can remember the series of clicks to get there each time. As I said, I still only leave feedback once every few weeks just because of the sheer time it takes to get through leaving it all.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/