`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of an Era (somewhat)

End of an Era (somewhat)
I'm sitting here watching the last ever home game of the NY Islanders at Nassau Coliseum. Yes they'll be in the playoffs & moving to Brooklyn next season, which is only 20 miles away from Nassau Coliseum but may as well be 2000 miles with traffic, logistics and the general area. I won't get into why they're moving, (there's TONS of articles on the corrupt politics of Nassau County), but it's a sad moment, especially for someone who lives 15 minutes away from the "old barn".

I know the Isles have been somewhat of a laughingstock for the better part of the past 25 years & rightfully so with some of the moves they've made, (Roberto Luongo & Olli Jokinen for Mark Parrish & Oleg Kvasha anyone?) But just when they're FINALLY on the right track to be good for a long time, especially with players like Tavares, Okposo, Leddy & Boychuk signed long term, thousands of fans like myself are no longer going to have the opportunity to see them play live anymore. And for all the hype about the new arena in Brooklyn, it doesn't automatically mean success or increases in attendance - just look at the last place NJ Devils playing to 1/2 empty seats in a sparkling new building in a dump of an area.

I'm sure some older fans will remember the dynasty years, (4 straight Cups featuring 5 Hall of Famers on the team - Bossy, Potvin, Trottier, Gillies & Billy Smith). I was only a kid when this was going on. Sadly, most fans think of 4 consecutive top 5 1st round draft picks made by a backup goalie turned GM, when someone mentions the Islanders. I really hope for a long playoff run to give us Islanders fans a truly great send off...and a big middle finger to the politicians in Nassau County.

Sorry for the long rant but I'm a little down that my 3 year old son & 22 month old daughter will never really know how much fun it was going to Islanders games at the Coliseum, (not to mention missing out on literally thousands of autographs over the past 20 years that I've accumulated). So, this begs the question, does anyone here have any memories, (good or bad), of the Islanders at Nassau Coliseum? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

RE: End of an Era (somewhat)
I'm sad to see them move, so much history in the old building. As a middle aged NHL fan I spent many cold Canadian nights curled up watching them battle on CBC HNIC for the cup. Great memories.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

RE: End of an Era (somewhat)
The best Grateful Dead show I ever saw was at Nassau Coliseum.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.