`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regrading - PSA to BGS

Regrading - PSA to BGS
Was curious if anyone had ever bought a PSA graded card and sent it in to BGS to regrade, and if so what the results were.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

RE: Regrading - PSA to BGS
If it's modern, it usually grades lower when crossed over to BGS.

That's what I'm afraid of. Also, would you send it in in the PSA holder or take it out and send it in? I kinda think that when you send something to any company to regrade they almost feel obligated to downgrade a 1/2 point or more.

(04-05-2015, 11:48 AM)randall44 Wrote: That's what I'm afraid of. Also, would you send it in in the PSA holder or take it out and send it in? I kinda think that when you send something to any company to regrade they almost feel obligated to downgrade a 1/2 point or more.
I agree with you completely. At least PSA does. I sent a nice lot of high end vintage graded by BVG to PSA to see if they would cross over. Most to all of my BVG examples look significantly better than the PSA's in the same grade, so I was curious. Every single card I sent them came back in the Beckett slabs because they did not meet my self imposed minimum grades (all were submitted to receive at least the same grades or to be left alone). There was just no way that was possible. I got angry and cut out a 1959 Topps Mickey Mantle BVG 8, and sent it in to PSA raw. Now a week prior they said it did not grade an 8 in their opinion. Do you want to guess what it came back when I sent it in raw? An 8.

I sent in vintage cards to SGC to regrade, 2 PSA's and a BVG, same result. If I do try to regrade I think I will definitely take them out of the case first even though I know it might be a gamble. I like vintage for SGC, but with the more modern cards I'm starting to prefer BGS, mostly for the appearance.

Ultimately neither company likes their competition nor do they want to be out shined by the other. Best advise would be to pick one or the other & go with them. Either that or if you're not satisfied with the first companies' grade then bust the slab & send in raw otherwise you will get a grade you don't want due to the dislike.
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

(04-05-2015, 09:47 AM)randall44 Wrote: Was curious if anyone had ever bought a PSA graded card and sent it in to BGS to regrade, and if so what the results were.
I've crossed over my fair share. For the most part, I've received really good results. I've only crossed PSA 10's, SGC 98's and a SGC 100. Most of the PSA 10's came back as BGS 9.5's and some came back as BGS 9's. None came back lower. Except, 4 or 5 didn't cross over, because of Questionable Authenticity Edge. 2 of them were 1992 Score #4 Nolan Ryans. These were two different cards that were both graded PSA 10. The SGC 100, I was actually disappointed in. It got a BGS 9.5; I was hoping for a BGS 10. It just barely got a BGS 9.5. But hey, at least I got my 9.5, right? The SGC 98's mostly got 9.5's. I think 1 or 2 got BGS 9's.

*I let Beckett crack out all the cards.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

At the end of the day, it all comes down to who is looking at the card & doing the grading.... I've bought PSA graded cards & sent them to BGS (still in PSA case) & they have come back with higher and or lower grades..... I've even bought BGS graded cards with low grades & took them out of the casing & sent them in to BGS for them to come back with a higher grade.... "Things that make you go, Hmmmmmmmm"
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards