`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post cards from your early years of collecting

Post cards from your early years of collecting
I have been collecting for about 25 years. From time to time, I like to look back at some of the cards from when I first started that are still in the closet.

When did you start collecting and what are some of your first cards?

[Image: Old%20School_zps3jkhhqsb.jpg]

My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

RE: Post cards from your early years of collecting
I don't have a pic loaded, but mine would be a 1994 Pinnacle Brett Favre Trophy Collection. My grandparents bought me two packs for my birthday, stuck them on an old pair of boots, wrapped the box, and gave them to me. It's the one card I will never get rid of.
Super Collecting Mark Rypien and Juan Gonzalez

****NOT CURRENTLY TRADING****

My entrance into collecting was when I bought a HUGE cardboard box of cards from a guy in late 1996. I had no idea what I was doing. Paid $300 for that box, and ended up with a ton of sets out of it--football, hockey, and NASCAR mostly--and even more singles. It literally took me almost three weeks to sort through it all (yes, it was that big). It was a fair deal at the time...probably not so much now. I still have all of the sets from that box, but got rid of most everything else. I don't have any pics of the sets, but here are a few of the singles from the box that started it all...

Dale Earnhardt Action Packed Prototype...awesome card...
1993 Prototype photo DE01_zps63bb39b0.jpg

Gems of the Crown
Gems of the Crown photo JE02_zpsa0e13222.jpg

MVP gold version
MVP Gold photo BF02_zps0604eef7.jpg

22kt Gold
22Kt Gold photo MFP01.jpg

Showcase of the Playoffs
Showcase of the Playoffs photo DM03_zps0e3f2d4f.jpg

"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

(03-28-2015, 11:03 AM)jephthah1 Wrote: My entrance into collecting was when I bought a HUGE cardboard box of cards from a guy in late 1996. I had no idea what I was doing. Paid $300 for that box, and ended up with a ton of sets out of it--football, hockey, and NASCAR mostly--and even more singles. It literally took me almost three weeks to sort through it all (yes, it was that big). It was a fair deal at the time...probably not so much now. I still have all of the sets from that box, but got rid of most everything else. I don't have any pics of the sets, but here are a few of the singles from the box that started it all...

MVP gold version
MVP Gold photo BF02_zps0604eef7.jpg
Great cards. Collectors Choice was great because it was affordable.

My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2

[Image: DSC02331.jpg]
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

Mine would all be base cards from 1990-91 Donruss, Score, and Topps baseball. Sprinkle in some 1991 Upper Deck, add a bit of Pro Set football, and Hoops basketball and boom: overproduced nostalgia pie. The first really cool card I ever pulled was a 1991 Upper Deck baseball Michael Jordan card. Still have it too.

While I started collecting with baseball cards in 1987, my intro to football was 1989 Topps and Pro Set. I wish it was Score instead but I just don't remember ever seeing any 1989 Score packs around.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(03-28-2015, 10:08 PM)djohn Wrote: While I started collecting with baseball cards in 1987, my intro to football was 1989 Topps and Pro Set. I wish it was Score instead but I just don't remember ever seeing any 1989 Score packs around.
I agree. In 89, I seen Topps everywhere. That was the first year of ProSet but they seemed to be a lot of places that carried them. However, I don't remember seeing 89 score very often. This is odd because we now know that they produced plenty of 89 score sets.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2