`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What's on your bookshelf?

What's on your bookshelf?
I know you're all baseball cardboard addicts, like me, but just wondering if you were voracious readers of all things baseball, like me, too? Here are most of my baseball books. I started reading biographies/autobiographies and the graduated to more baseball history books.
I've been too busy studying to read my 3 latest additions. "Captain", "The Kid" & "The Closer" (Jeter, Ted Williams & Mariano) But once I'm done and have some down time, I plan to crack them open and read for pleasure.
I know, digital books would save a ton of space, but I like paper, I guess Smile

[Image: 6C6C267D-7F67-42D5-9C0D-30580AF44E3E_zpsdyfizv6z.jpg]
[Image: D52145C6-E86D-4C6E-B1F9-BA1B3B3AD337_zps0rjvvgty.jpg]
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: What's on your bookshelf?
Dang, Doc!! You've got game.

I graduated college in Fall of 1999. I'm done reading. The only college book that I actually read was Organic Chemistry. And I made a "D" in the class. I made "A's" and "B's" in all my other classes. Of course, since I made a "D" in Organic Chemistry, I changed my major to Marketing. I graduated ***** Laude.

-------------------------------------------------

*Edit: How funny. The system thought I was trying to spell something else, so it starred out the first word before Laude.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I found this list online of the top 20 Baseball books of all-time, printed it out and have been going through the list reading them. I have been borrowing them from my local library and have read seven so far and am partway through the eighth.

1. Five Seasons: A Baseball Companion (1977) by Roger Angell
2. Red Smith on Baseball: The Game's Greatest Writer on the Game's Greatest Years (2000) by Red Smith
3. The Glory of Their Times (1966) edited by Lawrence Ritter
4. Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players... (1970) by Robert Peterson
5. Veeck — As in Wreck: The Autobiography of Bill Veeck (1962) by Blll Veeck with Ed Linn
6. Moneyball: The Art of Winning and Unfair Game (2003) by Michael Lewis
7. The Pitch That Killed (1989) by Mike Sowell
8. A Day in the Bleachers (1955) by Arnold Hano
9. The Wrong Stuff (1984) by Bill Lee and Richard Lally
10. The Bronx Zoo (1979) by Sparky Lyle and Peter Golenbock
11. Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy (1983) by Jules Tygiel
12. Joe, You Coulda Made Us Proud (1975) by Joe Pepitone and Barry Stainback
13. October 1964 (1994) by David Halberstam
14. Ball Four (1970) by Jim Bouton
15. Baseball When The Grass Was Real (1975) by Donald Honig
16. Dock Ellis in the Country of Baseball (1976) by Donald Hall
17. Can't Anybody Here Play This Game? (1963) by Jimmy Breslin
18. Don't Look Back: Satchel Paige in the Shadows of Baseball (2000) by Mark Ribowsky
19. Seasons in Hell (1996) by Mike Shropshire
20. The Boys of Summer (1972) by Roger Kahn

In the process I have found other baseball books on the library shelf that are not on this list and have read them as well. Those would include books written by Derek Jeter, Johnny Damon and Jose Canseco.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

That's me, I do not like digital books. Give me a good 'ol hardback or even a paperback! You have a nice collection there!!
Mostly football and a set builder

I used to read a ton of baseball books and sports books in general. This thread makes me want to get back to that. I think I know what I'm doing when I get off work now. Thanks Doc

Im very surprised Game of Shadows didn't make that list. I'm a paperback guy too Doc. I've made hundreds of book cases and they just look so elegant in a home. Plus, if I'm going to read a book, it's not going to be digital. Just a personal preference.

Mint condition is a great book for collectors! Great book. My favorite autobiography is Born to Play by Dustin Pedroia. Also, anything by Dirk Hayhurst is an absolute hoot to read. There are times when you laugh so hard you cry
[Image: PIpbkRH.png]

Also collecting the top prospects for the Sox.
I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation. — Satchel Paige
Special thanks to jbel for the sweet sig!

My favorite baseball book.

Next to my Ken Burns Baseball DVD set, this is my favorite non-card baseball related item. A must have in my opinion for any true baseball fan. It is a season by season recap with lots of photographs and a great historical reference. You can probably find one on eBay for the cost of a pack of cards.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Nice collection, Doc!(We also have the Yankees Century; great book!) Another great set of baseball books are Baseball: The Early Years and Baseball: The Golden Age by Harold Seymour. They were pretty much the first books on baseball as history ever published and are excellent reads if you are interested in baseball history from the 1840's to the 1930's. He also published a third book, Baseball: The People's Game, which encompasses baseball outside the professional level.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

I was going to jokingly ask, "Where is Juiced?", but I think I see it.

Amazing collection of lit there, Doc.