`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baseball History

Baseball History
February is Black History Month. A good time to show off some of my collection. I completed this project in 2012.

This set of cards represents the first Black Players to play for each Major league baseball team.

The collection contains a rookie card of each player that had a rookie card issued.

There are two players that never had rookie cards, Nino Escalera and John Kennedy. To represent Escalera I’ve included a Larry Fritsch card from their 1977 “One Year Winners” set. To represent John Kennedy, I’ve included a beautiful custom card made by Bob Lemke in 2012.

Please note that Henry Thompson was not only the first Black player for the Browns in 1947, but he was also with Monte Irvin on July 8, 1949. The two of them breaking the color line playing for the New York Giants.
Nino Escalera and Chuck Harmon also made their debut on the same day, April 17, 1954 for the Cincinnati Reds.

Included with this collection is a card of Moses Fleetwood Walker. The Fleetwood card is from the Upper Deck, 1994 American Epic card set, based on the Ken Burns film “Baseball the American Epic”.

Fleetwood is documented as being the first Black man to appear in a major league baseball game on May 1, 1884 for the Toledo Blue Stockings, during their one year in the American Association. His younger brother, Weldy also played some games with the Toledo team. Moses Fleetwood was injured before the season ended causing him to leave the team. The color barrior was enacted in 1888 and remained in place until 1947. Enjoy......

[Image: img494_zps34c868c8.jpg]
[Image: img495_zpsb994f9ac.jpg]
[Image: img498_zpsef19a6e0.jpg]

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-157...pid2525674

RE: Baseball History
that's really cool!
And very nice cards. I really like the Jackie robinson and ernie banks.

If my wife and I have another child or even animal, I'm naming it Pumpsie.

Awesome vintage bud!

wow...this is just incredibly impressive. would you mind if i shared this publicly? i used to work in civil rights, and i know a bunch of folk who would really enjoy this

Awesome collection and a great idea. Thanks for sharing!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

That is an excellent idea for a collection. Very nice stuff thanks for sharing!
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

(02-03-2015, 07:59 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: wow...this is just incredibly impressive. would you mind if i shared this publicly? i used to work in civil rights, and i know a bunch of folk who would really enjoy this
Thanks, I'm glad that you enjoyed seeing it, and have no problem with you sharing.

Awesome idea and a great collection. I really like this and you've inspired me to start my own thread.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Really cool collection. Thanks for sharing!

That Ernie Banks is beautiful.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.