`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Does a great Billy Ripken-esque football card exist?

Does a great Billy Ripken-esque football card exist?
In case one is trying to decipher the subject thread title, I am referring to football error cards. In case anyone is not familiar with the infamous error Fleer Billy Ripken card that I am referring to, Google it.

Without doing much research, I cannot readily think of too many interesting error football cards that are out there. I am not necessarily referring to errors that are obscene or controversial, just ones that are mildly funny.

This one is my personal favorite, a sticker insert from the 1981 Fleer Team Action set:
[Image: P1020342_zps02b3114f.jpg]
Two of the sticker cards have the upside down horseshoe both on the front and on the back. I remember pulling one of these out of wax packs and immediately noticing something was odd. There is a side of me who believes it was done on purpose as a prank. It was rather clairvoyant considering the Colts finished 2-14 that year and then 0-8-1 during a strike shortened season the subsequent year.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

RE: Does a great Billy Ripken-esque football card exist?
nice find! … I remember pulling the billy rip kin cards… and now I'm showing my age … but I remember pulling a bunch of the 81 fleer "C"rain Nettles error

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

1990 Pro Set Fred Marion Belt. Easily on par with the Ripken. Good write up here on it - http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/04/...tball-card

2006 Bowman "Signs of The Future" Leon Washington autograph. Supposedly he was doing some kind of gang sign, but it looks like he's flipping the bird with each hand.
''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

(01-19-2015, 12:16 PM)jplarson Wrote: 1990 Pro Set Fred Marion Belt. Easily on par with the Ripken. Good write up here on it - http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/04/...tball-card
Without knowin it was Marion's card, that was the card I thought about too. "With belt" error...so funny...thanks for the link
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

I stand corrected. That Fred Marion belt card is hilarious. I never was aware of this error prior. Those Pro Set issues were laden with errors and variations, but nothing this interesting. This card is also featured in the FACT Cincinnati set issued to schoolchildren that year. I am hoping each of those cards featured the airbrushed version - LOL.

I forgot about the Leon Washington card. I remember reading about the controversy behind that one card years ago. That is another good example.

On a side note, I remember when that Billy Ripken card was featured on an episode of the People's Court during the summer when the set was released. It had to deal with a dispute between two kids over the ownership of this card, or something like that.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]