`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I PC you!

I PC you!
It's been a while since my last post here. I haven't been very active into collecting and this is a forum that I really value so that made me be less here. Higher self imposed standards I guess you could call it.

In any case, something happened I wanted to share. I met one of my PC players. He was very polite. He signed a couple of thing for me. I wish I had had time to ask questions but other people wanted to take pictures.

One of the things he signed was a Topps card. He seemed to recognize it, he mentioned being a chrome. The person that was with him didn't know about cards. I was going to make a comment about having more but then... I guess I felt weird about telling another person I collect pieces of cardboard with their face on them for some reason. Probably the way my brain phrased it didn't help my cause.
But let's be honest, going to a person and saying "Hey I PC you!" is not the most usual.

That made me wonder. Has any of you met any of your PC players after you were already collecting them? And if so, How was the meeting?

RE: I PC you!
I met Gerald Henderson before a game a few years ago. He signed my jersey, just asked where I got it and that was about it. As I was walking over to get his attention my wife said "do NOT tell him about your collection."
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

I was a Gilbert Arenas from his Warriors days and bought his authentic jersey. Wore it and he signed every card I had (which was 9) while he only signed 1 item for others. After I realized he was signing everything I told him how grateful I was and such a fan of his and he was happy to do it.

I PC Wilson Chandler and the Knicks but never met Wilson ip. I've met lots of NBA players though. Either at games or hotels. Some are very nice, some are not. Either way I treat them all with respect and try not to hound them.

@Caffrey, who was your PC player you met? While I wouldn't tell a player that I "PC" them. I would tell them that I try to collect all their cards because I love the way they play the game. Saying "I PC you" to another human being just sounds weird lol, IMO. I wouldn't feel ashamed telling a player that and that I collect cards in general. Its my hobby, I love it. Who cares what others think?!
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

(02-26-2015, 10:27 PM)crimedawg47 Wrote: I met Gerald Henderson before a game a few years ago. He signed my jersey, just asked where I got it and that was about it. As I was walking over to get his attention my wife said "do NOT tell him about your collection."
Your wife's comment is the best part of that story.
Having said that, If there's a collection that deserves to be mentioned is your Gerald Henderson one. That's an impressive collection.

(02-27-2015, 03:24 AM)vgqv Wrote: I was a Gilbert Arenas from his Warriors days and bought his authentic jersey. Wore it and he signed every card I had (which was 9) while he only signed 1 item for others. After I realized he was signing everything I told him how grateful I was and such a fan of his and he was happy to do it.

I PC Wilson Chandler and the Knicks but never met Wilson ip. I've met lots of NBA players though. Either at games or hotels. Some are very nice, some are not. Either way I treat them all with respect and try not to hound them.

@Caffrey, who was your PC player you met? While I wouldn't tell a player that I "PC" them. I would tell them that I try to collect all their cards because I love the way they play the game. Saying "I PC you" to another human being just sounds weird lol, IMO. I wouldn't feel ashamed telling a player that and that I collect cards in general. Its my hobby, I love it. Who cares what others think?!
Yeah, I agree it sounds really weird. But I chose that phrase to emphasize a point, telling someone that you have a collection dedicated to them it's a little weird.
As cool/interesting/fun as it might sound to us, to others collecting it's weird on itself. Do I care? Not to the point where it would stop me from doing it, no. But if you ad to that that you would be telling this to the focus of your collection... I'm not saying do it or don't. What I am saying is that it's an interesting situation to be at. And interesting situations make good stories, so whatever you choose please share it.

The player I met is Fabricio Oberto. He's one of only two players from my country to ever win an NBA ring. He also won a Gold Medal with the National Team. So big deal in my book.

[Image: IMG_1276_zpsg6uojvhv.jpg]

hey, that's the Oberto card I sent you! Nice to see you got it signed in-person!

Well, mine is not quite the same, but I thought I'd share...
I collect Jeremy Kerley of the NY Jets. I was his QB coach/OC and one of his baseball coaches in HS. He is a great person, and my sons absolutely idolize him. He even came down from college on a weekend off to go to my son's 10th birthday. How many kids get to hang out with their sports hero for their birthday?
His kids will have an AWESOME card collection of their dad when the time comes for me to part with it.
Thanks for reading, and great stories also.

(02-28-2015, 01:13 PM)folkertino Wrote: hey, that's the Oberto card I sent you! Nice to see you got it signed in-person!
Yes, it is. I actually have other base cards of his in spurs uniform. But I decided to take that because I thought It would be nice to have something to mark his time playing for Valencia signed. And he got a kick out of it when he saw it.
(03-01-2015, 07:47 PM)mickey871 Wrote: Well, mine is not quite the same, but I thought I'd share...
I collect Jeremy Kerley of the NY Jets. I was his QB coach/OC and one of his baseball coaches in HS. He is a great person, and my sons absolutely idolize him. He even came down from college on a weekend off to go to my son's 10th birthday. How many kids get to hang out with their sports hero for their birthday?
His kids will have an AWESOME card collection of their dad when the time comes for me to part with it.
Thanks for reading, and great stories also.
I find this story really interesting. Obviously the dynamic here is different. It must be an odd (good) feeling to see someone you know become a successful professional player.
And in your case where you had a part on his development not only as a player but as a person. To see that he became someone that would take the time to go to your son's birthday party. Must be a really good feeling.

Absolutely. He is a special young man to my family, and pretty much everyone in his hometown. I do feel lucky to have a special relationship with him.

I find this story really interesting. Obviously the dynamic here is different. It must be an odd (good) feeling to see someone you know become a successful professional player.
And in your case where you had a part on his development not only as a player but as a person. To see that he became someone that would take the time to go to your son's birthday party. Must be a really good feeling.
[/quote]