`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help, advice, guidance. What did u guys do.

Help, advice, guidance. What did u guys do.
This is a long post. Sorry in advance. I have collected cards ever since I can remember. Probably have around 100,000 thousand cards from the different sports in my card room. I think the most expensive card I have is a $50 football card. I have rookie cards from of many great players but only in the $10-$20 range. Only a few autographs and maybe 50 total game used/ race used. I have focused my collection on rookie cards the past few years and that has been about it. I can't afford a $300 lebron, kershaw, or brady card so I buy entry level rookies of them and others. Hard to use racing here cause they can be picked up cheap and aren't really worth much. I thought about collecting a autograph and memorabilia card of every player from every sport but that desire quickly left. I recently thought about doing just autograph memorabilia from my favorite players but then I run into the problem of older greats like earnhardt, and hall of famers from other sports might not have a auto mem card. Some have memorablia cards and just autos but none with both. I don't do sticker autos. Hate em. I am turning 31 next month and I am just wondering I guess, if u guys have hit this stage in your collecting what did you do. I don't need 200 individual common cards different drivers or athletes. That I am certain. I don't want to say I am loosing the desire to collect anymore because that is far from the truth, just don't know what I am wanting to do anymore. My friend would kill for an Earnhardt auto. I have had i think 4 of them and when I get bored or needed some cash for something I would just sell em. I don't know what I am wanting to hear so what have u guys done if you have gotten to this point in your life and it probably seems like a stupid problem but it is a problem for me.

RE: Help, advice, guidance. What did u guys do.
Not a stupid question at all. Everyone has issues that they come across in the hobby, and they all handle it differently. I am there right now, as nobody seems to be pulling anything from my main PC player lately.

What I did was to think over other elements of the game and hobby that I enjoy, and how I can accomplish fulfillment with those nuances. For me that meant revisiting the past and working in the aspects that I enjoyed when I collected as a kid. Rookie cards, sets, hometown players, favorite team.

Right now I am doing all of these things and have come quite a long way. You can surely find people willing to trade high level cards for mid-high level. I do it, and so do many others. The trick is to find what you want from others, and then find what they want. You would be surprised at what you can land!

Always make this hobby interesting for yourself, and make sure that it is something that you really want to hold on to. Older rookies are great, and the older the better. They will only heighten in value as they become more scarce, especially if you have ones in great condition. Hopefully this helped a bit. I look forward to hearing what you decide on. Best wishes!

Randi

You mentioned a couple of times getting a card of EVERY player in ALL the sports. How about narrowing that down to your FAVORITE player from each sport. If you do that and start selling off those 100,000 cards you don't want you will be able to afford a few higher end cards of your FAVORITE athletes. I don't know if that helps but it is where I would start.
SET NEEDS;
2012 tribute blue autos - need most
1995-98 football inserts

(01-08-2015, 10:25 AM)lecreccio Wrote: You mentioned a couple of times getting a card of EVERY player in ALL the sports. How about narrowing that down to your FAVORITE player from each sport.
Agreed. When I was younger I just got everything I could get in three different sports. Now that I'm older and restrict myself on spending and storage, I find I'm just after my favorite complete sets that I can easily store in a binder, player collect a few guys, and team collect a single team all within just one sport. I get tons more enjoyment now than I ever did from the hobby.

Working on rainbows is always fun. I haven't completed more than a couple, but they are usually lower in price, and look great when you show them off Smile I can't afford autos of some of the popular guys I like, so rainbows are a fun way to have something to chase, and collect, that is a bit more affordable.
I'm still too scattered in my collecting, but I like to focus on underdogs, and close to home guys. For older players, I think it's even better to have cards from their original years than it is to have "Reprints" with autos or memorabilia from today. I'm doing a SB MVP collection, and intend on getting a card from the year the guy won it, meaning I won't have autos of them for many years. So I think it all comes down to what you want.
Maybe deciding WHY you want to collect, or continue collecting, would help. If you are investing, you'll need to be smart, and willing to spend some money. If you are collecting just for the fun, autos are nice, but some other cards can be just as fun to collect and show off, while being waaaaaaay cheaper lol.
Whatever you do, good luck!

I have come to the conclusion I need to get more organized. need to get more cards on beckett for trade, and just have fun collecting cards again. Maybe figure a certain direction to go later. Just have fun I think is what I need, and hopefully make some trades to get certain stuff I want. Thanks for the comments, and maybe I can do some trades with you all.

Want's are all marked, feel free to hit me up if you have anything I need! No trade too small or too large! Good luck! Smile