`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Childhood Box Break with Some Old Gems (Scan Heavy)

Childhood Box Break with Some Old Gems (Scan Heavy)
I've been sorting through some of my old cards and memorabilia lately and came across an old Nike shoebox labeled "Autographs." Inside was a bunch of addresses for stadiums, base cards in one of those little albums you used to be able to buy at Kmart that all the cards would stick to, a little inventory list, and these cards in toploaders with no sleeves. These were the product of my TTM efforts from I'd say 9-12 years old. So awesome looking back on these and who I considered my favorite players at the time.

Fernando Valenzuela - this was the first card I ever received back from a player. I remember my mom was so excited for me that she brought it to school and pulled me out of class so I could open it. I always sent an SASE but he had his own stationary and I kept it. So bad a$$. I just blurred out my name and the number of my old address. Think he addressed these himself? I just noticed he left out one digit from my zip code as well.

[Image: env.jpg]

[Image: valenzuela_ttm.jpg]

A few other baseball autos I got. I guess I liked the Donruss art cards... Love the autos from Dunston and Molitor. Such nice sigs.

[Image: ttm_baseball.jpg]

Two cards I got back stamped instead of signed. Do guys still do that? And really? Clemente Nunez? No idea why I sent this card or why he would have a stamp. The requests must have been flooding in. Edit: Just looked him up and he was the first player ever signed by the Marlins, so maybe the requests did flood in, what do I know?

[Image: stamp_ttm.jpg]

Some football. I think I chose football players pretty well given my age. Even with the kicker auto in there LOL. Hey, I was, and still am, a Packers fan! No idea why I would have gone with Kosar and Singletary but pretty sweet looking back.

[Image: fb_ttm.jpg]

Lastly, a post card with facsimile auto from Rafael Palmeiro. I'm actually surprised I even got that back given his superstar status at the time.

[Image: palmeiro.jpg]

Hope you enjoyed the time warp!
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

RE: Childhood Box Break with Some Old Gems (Scan Heavy)
wow, cool stuff man.
the Valenzuela is a neat, my favorite looking card though has to be the Molitor. nice and clean
no org, please do not send trade requests

Thanks, I remember doing similar send-offs during my childhood. However I never got any autos back, but I did get some cool items (team postcards, mini-pennants, stickers, etc) from a couple different teams I wrote to. I still have them all in a shoebox as well. Nice to see the trip down memory lane.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

That's pretty awesome, man! I remember sending a few out back in the day as well. Thanks for sharing!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

That is awesome but I don't know how you could not remember those. I never would've forgotten that I'd received TTM autos when I was a kid. Those would've been in a very special place with my favorite coins, bottle caps, matchbooks and photographs. I too like the Molitor best (maybe because I collect him).
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html