`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Survey on the Hobby

2015 Survey on the Hobby
1)How many products per manufacture is too much?

2)How many autos should be in a product?

3)How many autos of a player is too much in a product?

4)Would you prefer rookie cards without the "event worn" patch?

5)Do you believe in all rookie or all veteran products?

6)Would you buy a product without an auto if it was a limited product?

7)Do you believe rare player memorabilia should continue to be placed in relic cards or saved as whole pieces?

8)How many parallels of a card is too much?

9)How important is it to have an action photo compared to a cutout player photo?

10)How much faith do you have in how authentic the memorabilia is in a card?

RE: 2015 Survey on the Hobby

Honestly I dont care how many different products they make as long as its evenly split cost wise. Gotta make sure to attract new collectors

There is a HUGE demand for autos now a days, so as much as we complain have a lot of autos is a must at this point.

same as my last point. You have to have some easier to get stuff and some rare stuff for the higher end collector. As well as middle ground autos for guys like me

They can have their event worn patches haha

No, I think there needs to be a mix, I collect both. I usually add 1 new PC each year of my favorite rookie.

Oh yea, I love collecting both autos and non autos. Most of my best cards are non-autos limited stuff. I actually like trying to find the really Short printed non-s/ned stuff

7)Do you believe rare player memorabilia should continue to be placed in relic
cards or saved as whole pieces?

I cant afford whole pieces, so keep it coming haha

Im fine with what is out there right now, but it is RIGHT on the edge of being to much. It is fun chasing a rainbow!

9)How important is it to have an action photo compared to a cutout player photo?

The action photos are pretty cool, and definitely more desirable IMO

zero

(sig courtesy of jbel4331)
[Image: sdh5p0.png]
Sets
2013 Bowman Inception Base Auto - 56/62 -90.3%
2011 Topps Cognac Diamond Anniversary(Series 1 & 2) - 383/709 -54%
2011 Topps Diamond Anniversary (Series 1 & 2) - 371/709 -52.3%
2014 Topps 1989 Die Cuts - 119/150 - 79.3%

1)How many products per manufacture is too much? - Don't really care...just like an even distribution along low, middle, and high end. See below...My answer may make more sense.

2)How many autos should be in a product? - I really would like that the checklists didn't include non-superstars for the higher end stuff. I think the product should dictate who is included. Folks want auto's so I guess the more the merrier.

3)How many autos of a player is too much in a product? 500 total

4)Would you prefer rookie cards without the "event worn" patch? I don't collect patch cards to begin with, but I'd prefer Game Used verses Event Worn.

5)Do you believe in all rookie or all veteran products? - no, need them sprinkeled throughout.

6)Would you buy a product without an auto if it was a limited product? Yes.....I don't collect auto's unless IP

7)Do you believe rare player memorabilia should continue to be placed in relic cards or saved as whole pieces? Saved as whole pieces

8)How many parallels of a card is too much? - up to 9 is fine (fits nice in a binder...lol). My problem is that the same picture should not be used in different products.

9)How important is it to have an action photo compared to a cutout player photo? prefer a nice mixture

10)How much faith do you have in how authentic the memorabilia is in a card? none
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

More than 3 low-end, more than 3 middle price, more than 3 high-end, and more than 1 ultra-extra-very high-end would seem to be too much, IMO. Of those 10 products, 1-2 rookie only products, 1-2 retro, 1-2 chrome/Prism/Tek products.
I think 1 release per month would be sufficient and a break during winter.

Hard to say. high-end should have all auto.
Low end, there should at least be 2 auto hits per hobby box.

I really don't know. I guess it depends on the product.

I'd rather have signed w/relic - patch than unsigned.

Yeah, a prospect/rookie-only set seems to be an industry standard.

If its a stated limit, serial numbered set.

7)Do you believe rare player memorabilia should continue to be placed in relic cards or saved as whole pieces?

Saved if possible.

For me, anything more than 5-7 gets too confusing.

Not important to me.

I've been skeptical since I started collecting. If I get a relic card, it's cool, but I don't go crazy bidding big money for them. Too many people in the chain of custody where deception for gain can take place. Just like Phillies_Joe, I prefer manufactured patch/commemorative cards over a small swatch of unidentifiable felt from who-knows-where.

[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

1)How many products per manufacture is too much? Really up to the market to decide... When we stop buying, and they stop profiting, that will be too much. That being said, I can't stand how bowman is split between regular bowman, bowman chrome, and bowman draft...

I personally liked last year's bowman ratio, with 4 autos:3 boxes for hobby, and more for jumbo. The increase this year was a bit too much IMO. I don't like products where the autos out number the base cards (sterling etc...), unless it is super high-end. Takes away the "hit factor".

Topps issuing several different photo variations of the same RC auto or other autos is absolutely ridiculous... it is not /10, if there are four other variations that are also /10.

No. They often make the card look nice.

Mixed is best. If Archives had a prospect component to their product, maybe with the '86 topps future stars, or the '90 1st round draft pick design, it would probably be my favorite product.

I would buy key singles I wanted, absolutely.

No. Unless the piece of memorabilia is documented as far as what game it was from, where it was purchased, etc... and the card holder had someway to track authenticity, absolutely not. Even then, I don't think they should be cut up.

Last year's bowman was getting silly, this years is absolutely f'ing ridiculous. I refused to buy the product due to the parallel stupidity, and it kept me from going after any singles other than the standard chrome and refractor autos. Last I checked, there were 7 colors in a "rainbow". They can keep the bubbles, waves, and 90 different colors of paper.

Definitely preferred. My favorite card of all time is the '94 Upper deck Griffey Electric Diamond I had as a kid, where he was leaping at the wall.

Absolutely none. Never had. Some relic cards look nice, some are scarce, which provide their value. Until they back up where and when the jersey was worn, I will continue to have no faith. I think they took a step forward with Tribute Milestones, where they provided a piece of a ball used in a milestone moment and providing that next step of authentication.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

Building Base sets and Collecting Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Backs, 1977, 1978 and 1979, 1981, 1985 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball
Justin Verlander, Reno Bertoia, and Alan Trammell
You can check out our latest 300-206 and 1y0-400 - real exams

to me there's to many "high end" that aren't really high end. quality control is the bigger issue to me along with redemptions

high end, 1 or 2 per pack.. low end I'd be cool with 1:24

this would vary by player but I think with all the parallels ANY base auto for an everyday player shouldn't exceed /300 and for stars /75 then do the parallels.. I hate the false scarcity topps makes with all of the products

pointless

yes, there should be an all veteran release just like the rookie/prospect garbage. If I buy a box hoping to hit something PC I don't want to hit of a guy who hasn't played a day or a full year in the majors

possibly.. brings to mind spx finite. the chance at autos was severely limited and all cards serial numbered.... or just about any early-mid 90's product. how great were those!

put them in there. no way an average collector as most of us are could afford an entire piece

3-4 of a base tops.. 2-3 for an insert or auto is fine.. topps and its 5000 different parallels is to much.

has no one noticed the quality of photos being used seems to be decreasing? action especially but prefer the action shot unless it's something like Studio

absolutely none from 2007 on, does this stop me from collecting certain pieces or players.. yes and no

no org, please do not send trade requests

1)How many products per manufacturer is too much?

This is where I dislike the current state of the hobby. There's just insanely too much going on from each. Let's look at Topps. There should be a single low-end; Topps and Update being the end of season continuation (current players only). A single mid-range; I'm thinking this is where you bring in a mix of current and retired players, fancier design, with some nice hits on relics or autos; like Stadium Club, Triple Threads or maybe High Tek. And then you have your single high-end, also with a mix of current and retired players that is nothing but autos and auto-relics, such as Dynasty. So, 3 products per manufacturer...tops. (no pun intended)

I don't really have an answer for this. Low-end should obviously pale in comparison to high-end and even mid-range in this regard.

More than one is too much and devalues the whole point of chasing a player's autograph.

I don't care about this.

No. It should always be a mix. Again, it defeats the point of the chase of your favorite player's RC if there's a whole product dedicated to the RC insignia.

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: I would take into consideration why the product is limited, its design, etc. Also, an autograph is a privilege, not an obligation. I feel like collectors have become spoiled kids (regardless of age lol)

Well, relic cards are really cool. I've never considered them genuine and I don't chase them. I think the genuine articles need to remain intact and in a historical museum or a collector's own "museum".

I am not a fan of parallels at all; another point of devaluing. Where's the incentive in chasing your favorite player's RC if there's 15 variations of it. I think a base and an autographed parallel would be more than sufficient. Also, I wish they'd stop Chroming everything. Chrome should be exclusive to the Bowman product.

This doesn't bother me at all. As long as the card looks nice, I'm intrigued.

As I said a few questions ago, I've never considered memorabilia authentic (whether it is or not doesn't matter to me) so as not to get myself entangled in all that possible drama. I will purchase things I like at prices I deem reasonable.

That being said, it's clear I'm not a huge fan of the Topps business model and the monopolization of the hobby. I miss Upper Deck, I miss Fleer, I miss Score, I miss Donruss being Donruss and not Panini. I miss when prospect cards were rare finds at card shows and not some packaged product with parallels and autographs and blah blah blah. Again, more devaluing of actual rookie cards. I mean, whats the point of getting a Kris Bryant card with that little RC on it (I assume this next year, Update probably) when we've already got an abundance of cards featuring the talented young man already saturating the market?

Okay, I'm done. lol