`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Graded vintage question

RE: Graded vintage question
(12-27-2014, 04:23 PM)uc7bearcat Wrote: I am looking at picking up some vintage cards and when looking at vintage graded cards what would you prefer?
A card graded 7 (OC)
or a card graded 6 that is centered?
Also BVG or PSA
I don't really have a preference about either of those grading company. (Assuming BGS is the same as BVG)
As far as card condition, as long as the card is clean, glossy, and has sharp corners, I can forgive it being off centered. That doesn't mean miscut or trimmed is okay ... That really does bother me ... but for a vintage card, I'm not OCD about OC. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(12-27-2014, 06:55 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: No. I promise you this. I collect and deal a great deal of high end vintage. Anything OC, MC, MK, etc. is a cliff note if you will. It distinguishes cards that were in good enough shape to achieve the header grade if it weren't for the flaw noted. For example, if you find a PSA 8 on ebay with one of these notations you will notice it is quite a bit less money than a standard PSA 8. Unless the seller is a tool box. It just tells you the card had all of the characteristics of the header grade except it's flawed by the notation. Miscut, marked, off center, etc. and they dont feel they could give it a 5 or 6 because of the other outstanding qualities.
And yes, centering does figure in a great deal.
Thanks for explaining! That's much clearer to me now.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Not a problem. BVG is the vintage division of BGS if anyone is confused.

(12-28-2014, 06:44 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: modern cards is all about BGS (and i believe - as do many folks - that BGS cases are more secure than psa or sgc)
Awesome. I'm relieved to hear that. I was planning on sending in some cards to get graded (for my first time) next week, and wanted to keep everything BGS.

Thanks!

Jacoby is spot on. BGS owns the modern market. BGS is worth considerably more than PSA in the same grades. The casings are a lot more attractive as well. If you can manage a good enough grade, you receive a metal header, which looks exceptionally nice. Also, BGS is a lot less expensive to grade with options as to how fast you would like your cards graded.

(12-28-2014, 04:48 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Jacoby is spot on. BGS owns the modern market. BGS is worth considerably more than PSA in the same grades. The casings are a lot more attractive as well. If you can manage a good enough grade, you receive a metal header, which looks exceptionally nice. Also, BGS is a lot less expensive to grade with options as to how fast you would like your cards graded.
More accurate grading too i might add, a 10 has to really be perfect
Yet psa vintage stuff still has a premium for some reason

I find them to (Beckett) to be much more critical and consistent graders, but PSA has stuck it's claim.

I find that inside the PSA cases the cards have some movement inside which I havent seen happen in BGS or BVG
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(12-27-2014, 07:54 PM)rentzington Wrote: This is why i dont care much for psa grading. Just give it the overall grade it deserves without any clarifiers. If the cenetering drops the grade id rather just get the lower grade

As far as which grading company, psa seems to give better resale value but bgs vintage has gotten good and i really like sgc's cases

I'm not totally sure, but I think there is the option on the PSA form that allows you to choose whether to have the card graded with or without qualifiers.
But Hofcollector is right, if it has a qualifier then it would grade about two grades lower w/o the qualifier... 8oc would be about a 6.

Thanks for all the great info. I have a few vintage cards I want to send it. I think I might go with BVG.

Anyone here ever put together a group submission to get prices down?
Current wants:
2023 Topps Aces
Pete Rose
Ohio State Football
Adley Rutschman