`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1959 Topps undocumented Grey Back

1959 Topps undocumented Grey Back
I just ran across a 1959 Topps Grey Back of #81 Hal Jeffcoat.
I've seen nor heard nothing of it.
Normally, grey back variations run from #s 199-286. Some series are in grey entirely. However, the series Jeffcoat is in is entirely white backs.
I've looked at it under a loupe as I have a strong print background and the dot pattern is completely correct. I can say on the front the registration is off. I tend to think this was at one time an early print and Topps changed paper to white backs before issuing the early series.
[Image: sig2_zps1ec2af91.jpg]

RE: 1959 Topps undocumented Grey Back
Nah, you can find grey back variations all over Topps early checklists.

(11-13-2014, 04:22 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Nah, you can find grey back variations all over Topps early checklists.
You can find them but not at this number. In 1959 only one series had both grey and white backs and that was from #s 199-286. Some series were completely grey or completely white. I have the complete set and am working on a master set. All of the grey backs are notated in PSA, SCD or Beckett as well as a couple other sites such as tradingcarddb.com or cardconnection.com and even EBay. There is no record of this particular card ever having a grey back.

As well, the printing is out of register (but the dot pattern holds true) which leads me to believe it was also part of an early printing.

Hey, I've been thinking is it possible you have a '59 Topps Venezuelan issue? They were printed on a lesser stock.

That must be it.
Its in Ex condition which kind of surprised me.
Being this was from a lot, I should check my cards more carefully, I may have more.

Yup. Those Venezuelan's are worth some money. There's not a whole lot of '59's around either. Congrats buddy.