`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference in BGS slab labels?

Difference in BGS slab labels?
I'm sort of getting back into the hobby a bit, and decided I'm just going to buy graded versions of players and cards that I like. I've been looking at eBay and noticed that some of the Beckett graded cards have different labels in them.

Do they mean anything or are some just maybe older graded cards and they changed up how they label them? Some have silver labels on them and just the name of the card and the grade. I noticed some others have gold labels and the grade but then also display the "sub grades" I guess you'd call them and then the slab number/serial number or whatever it's called.

Just wanted to know what the differences were if any. Thanks for your time!

RE: Difference in BGS slab labels?
Here is a quick break down- more can be found on the grading section on this site.

BVG on the label stands for Vintage - cards older than 1981. These do not have subgrades attached to them. (Some really old graded vintage may still have the BGS label)
BGS on the label - 1981 or newer with subgrades. The overall grade is NOT the 4 subgrades/4. Overall grade isn't any higher than 1 full grade of the lowest subgrade.

Gold label is 9.5 or 10
Silver is 8.5 or 9.0
White is everything 8 and lower

Some cards also have a grade for pack sealed autos.

(10-10-2014, 03:23 PM)scottishpunk Wrote: Here is a quick break down- more can be found on the grading section on this site.

BVG on the label stands for Vintage - cards older than 1981. These do not have subgrades attached to them. (Some really old graded vintage may still have the BGS label)
BGS on the label - 1981 or newer with subgrades. The overall grade is NOT the 4 subgrades/4. Overall grade isn't any higher than 1 full grade of the lowest subgrade.

Gold label is 9.5 or 10
Silver is 8.5 or 9.0
White is everything 8 and lower

Some cards also have a grade for pack sealed autos.
Thank you for that, I feel dumb that I forgot to scan over there before posting my question. Still, on eBay right now there are two Greg Maddux 87 Donruss rookie cards, both have the gold label, 9.5 grades, one though has displayed the sub-grades, and serial number and the other doesn't have either of those? I've seen others that way as well. Did I miss something in the explanation above? I browsed over there under the graded card section and haven't found anything yet.

Just read a little further and says the serial number is on the back. Maybe some of the older ones had it all on the front? There is no pic of the back of the card without the sub-grades on the front so I don't know.

As for the 2 Maddux Rookies you are talking about, there was a change in the slabs (I don't know the exact date, maybe someone knows?).

The older slabs have only the grade on the front, in this case the 9.5. On the back, you should see the subgrades and the serial number.

Currently, the slabs have both the subgrades and serial number on the front.

Many people tend to believe that cards in the older slabs may be undergraded (or the converse, newer cards are overgraded) as the belief is that grading used to be harsher than it is now.
Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes

Interesting, thank you!!

(10-10-2014, 04:10 PM)Texan1985 Wrote: As for the 2 Maddux Rookies you are talking about, there was a change in the slabs (I don't know the exact date, maybe someone knows?).
I think it was around November 2003 or 2005.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!