IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gretzky Rookie Counterfeits
Information 
Gretzky Rookie Counterfeits
Some ways to spot a Gretzky counterfeit:
1. The original has a print dot on Gretzky’s shoulder (see image below)
2. All of the Gretzky rookies from the first printing (there were two different printings) have two thin blue lines traversing the reverse side (lengthwise).
3. The image quality on the fakes will not have the same sharpness or resolution (measured in dots or picture elements per square inch) as the originals.
4. Original Gretzky rookies may have a rough edge because of the way they were cut. The 1979-1980 O-Pee-Chee sets were wire cut and after awhile the wire would get dull producing a rough edge. Most fakes look too perfect and may have all smooth edges

RE: Gretzky Rookie Counterfeits
(08-06-2014, 07:29 PM)jagr68nyr Wrote: Some ways to spot a Gretzky counterfeit:
1. The original has a print dot on Gretzky’s shoulder (see image below)
2. All of the Gretzky rookies from the first printing (there were two different printings) have two thin blue lines traversing the reverse side (lengthwise).
3. The image quality on the fakes will not have the same sharpness or resolution (measured in dots or picture elements per square inch) as the originals.
4. Original Gretzky rookies may have a rough edge because of the way they were cut. The 1979-1980 O-Pee-Chee sets were wire cut and after awhile the wire would get dull producing a rough edge. Most fakes look too perfect and may have all smooth edges
Very interesting. I'm not a collector of "The Great One," but I'll look more carefully if I come across an RC I'm picking up for trade bait. Thank you!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

or just buy graded copies, and then you don't have to worry about it
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

(08-07-2014, 03:32 PM)phildo37 Wrote: or just buy graded copies, and then you don't have to worry about it
There are plenty of reprints out there that were graded. Keep in mind, the plant closed in 93 and the reprints started a short time afterwards. They were not discovered for a few years after that. The grading companies never knew until they got caught and the world found out about all the fakes out there.

There were a couple beauties at the last Windsor card show. BGS and PSA.

And today, they reproduce the printing dust spot on the shoulder but they can not reproduce the paper.

There is a roller mark running down the right side on the real ones.