`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1989 Upper Deck

1989 Upper Deck
I just opened 2 wax boxes, one low number and one high number. In total, I got 1,080 cards. I received 1 Randy Johnson rookie, 2 Craig Biggio rookies and 1 Gary Sheffield rookie.

The packs look tamper proof but I'm not sold. Or, do I have the worst luck in the world?
I collect Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr., and Philadelphia Eagles autographed graded cards!

RE: 1989 Upper Deck
No Griffey huh? That is unfortunate!

I would say that if they were sealed in the foil, they are, for the most part, tamper proof, yes.
Thanks,
- Steve

(08-04-2014, 08:25 PM)sshissler Wrote: No Griffey huh? That is unfortunate!

I would say that if they were sealed in the foil, they are, for the most part, tamper proof, yes.
Thanks, Steve. Yeah, it's pretty unfortunate. I was just making sure that I wasn't being scammed. I got 13 Don Mattingly cards from both boxes and it seemed off. Thank you for your input. Makes me feel better.
I collect Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr., and Philadelphia Eagles autographed graded cards!

Tough luck. I know people used to know how to pull the hits out of the 1989 Fleer error boxes, but I don't recall any problems with the Upper Deck.

I get it. I remember collecting as a kid and finding 2-3 per box. But the rookies I received were rough. I have so many duplicate commons that it made me ask the question. Like I said, I have more than a dozen don mattingly's.

I remember having a very tough time finding Griffey cards. They weren't plentiful. In fact, I bought a factory set just to make sure I'd have one. I do remember getting multiples of Randy Johnson and Sheffield, so not too surprising, to me, at least.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

could have been a mix of packs from other boxes after Griffey rc was hit. Should have gotten at least one.

Sorry no Griffey hits, but it must of been fun cracking the 89 upper deck? I recently busted 2-89 fleer wax boxes. It was very fun looking back at all the ball players I grew up watching. I was looking for the Ripken error. No hits but 4 box boxes, 3 Griffey's, 4 biggios and couple of Randy's. I would rather crack older stuff all day then all this newer stuff with all the super hype, every rookie is a can't miss hof'er before they even have there first AB.
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Recently purchased the '89 UD Set. Couldn't get my hands on it growing up, so better late than never.

Also bought a '90 Leaf Series 2 box. Pulled 3 Thomas, 1 Larry Walker, 2 Johnson, 2 Justice. Man, I'm telling you, that 1990 Leaf set was some beautiful cards.

Actually, boxes were easily searchable, but it was based on position. All the rookie cards were in order fresh out of the case. So if you have an unopened case, you take one of the top boxes and open it. Opening the packs will tell you where you are in the sequence, from there predicting which boxes had the Griffey was easier. I remember several dealers having stacks of Griffeys. Personally, I would never trust and unopened 89 UD box to be random. But that's my two cents