`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Authentic VS Graded ?

Authentic VS Graded ?
How come I see some SGC graded cards or PSA graded cards of old cards given a grade of AUTHENTIC? But looking over the card and stuff it looks in really good condition and stuff, can someone explain it to me? Cause I have one old card graded and it has a SGC 20 / 1.5 grade and its in pretty bad shape, but I see some good looking cards in great condition and only have AUTHENTIC

thanks!

RE: Authentic VS Graded ?
Authentic probably means the card was altered in some way, probably trimmed, or perhaps damage to the back of the card.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

(07-15-2014, 06:37 AM)randall44 Wrote: Authentic probably means the card was altered in some way, probably trimmed, or perhaps damage to the back of the card.
Good point.

Another possibility is IF the card is a HIGH risk for counterfeiting.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

For BGS they use the "Authentic" for slabbing & tracking purposes.....I've had a lot of my cards Slabbed authentic.....they are Mint / NrMint+ to the naked eye ..... but if I didn't think they would grade high under microscopic scrutiny..... then I just had them Slabbed "Authentic" to protect them & have consistency for my PC ......... I will be posting them as I get them ALL back from BGS Wink

Also.......They REALLY Sweetin' up the overall look of the card !!!!
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

(07-15-2014, 09:17 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Good point.

Another possibility is IF the card is a HIGH risk for counterfeiting.
If it were counterfeit they wouldn't slab it as authentic.

No, I was saying "Authentic" slabbed to prove that it's not counterfeit. Sorry for the confusion.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(07-15-2014, 04:17 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: No, I was saying "Authentic" slabbed to prove that it's not counterfeit. Sorry for the confusion.
I see.

You can request a card to ONLY be slabbed OR be slabbed if it doesn't get the minimum grade you request. As long as the card is legit, it can be slabbed and labeled 'Authentic'. You won't pay as much for that as you would if it was graded. Also, cards can be sent in for protection-only slabbing. If it is an original card that is un-altered, it can be authenticated in the slabbing process.

That is my understanding of the grading/slabbing process. I welcome anyone else to add info about this.