`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surface grading

Surface grading
Anyone know how they grade this? I was just checking some of my graded BGS cardstoday. Was looking at one graded surface of 7, but can't seem to see any thing that stands out. It is a patch card so the edge of the patch area is rub off a little showing white, no crease that I am aware of. Just curious what guide they have for surface.

RE: Surface grading
I'm not sure how they would grade modern patch cards but with regular issued cards they grade things like; surface gloss, print defects and clarity or focus of the card. The grade will get knocked down if the card has surface scratches, indentations, creases, print spots or print lines, smudges, writing (like from a marker, pen or pencil), any kind of water or liquid damage and basically any kind of damage that would take away from the aesthetic presentation of the card.
In my experience, surface grading has been the most difficult. You really have to look at the surface at all angles and in different lighting to see if there are any kind surface defects.

Forgot to mention you can always look at Beckett's grading criteria on the website. This may give you a better idea of what to look for on cards.

With BGS, and Im not kidding about this, so far as much as a fingerprint on a glossy card can knock down a grade a full 2 points. This is why some ppl say to be sure the surface is wiped clean by one of those tiny cloth wipes you use for an ipad before sending in to grade.

(06-13-2014, 07:59 PM)altz11 Wrote: I'm not sure how they would grade modern patch cards but with regular issued cards they grade things like; surface gloss, print defects and clarity or focus of the card. The grade will get knocked down if the card has surface scratches, indentations, creases, print spots or print lines, smudges, writing (like from a marker, pen or pencil), any kind of water or liquid damage and basically any kind of damage that would take away from the aesthetic presentation of the card.
In my experience, surface grading has been the most difficult. You really have to look at the surface at all angles and in different lighting to see if there are any kind surface defects.

Forgot to mention you can always look at Beckett's grading criteria on the website. This may give you a better idea of what to look for on cards.
Exactly correct!!
(06-26-2014, 12:03 AM)creativemunky Wrote: With BGS, and Im not kidding about this, so far as much as a fingerprint on a glossy card can knock down a grade a full 2 points. This is why some ppl say to be sure the surface is wiped clean by one of those tiny cloth wipes you use for an ipad before sending in to grade.
This is true too!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!