`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinion on McGwire Auto?

Opinion on McGwire Auto?
Just looking for other opinions on this McGwire auto I picked up for my 89 Topps World Series project...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371068691438?ssP...1423.l2649

McGwire is a tough one because his signature has changed a great deal and varied a lot from signing to signing...

I used this as a reference, and several other similar ones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Huntsville-...1e8a3976e8

I understand that even with it looking near identical, it could still be fake and that buying these on the bay are a risk... Heck, even sending it in to PSA would only decrease the chances of a fake in my mind. No guarantees other than IP or certified, but until he has an '89 fan favorites or I have enough money to shell out for the '90 fan favorites, I'm out of luck!

Thanks in advance for anyone who take a look at the links and gives their opinion!
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

RE: Opinion on McGwire Auto?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
[Image: sades.jpg]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v520/mnbamboozled/grif
feys/]My Griffeys[/url]

1st, congrats on your pick-up on a nice looking card! Auto looks good to me , but I'm no expert. I'd get it authenticated. Not sure of that cost and if your just going to keep it, no rush in getting it done.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I think the '89 looks very legit! Nice pickup. I know that sigs change over time, and my sig can look different depending on the day ... But I can sign with my eyes closed and in my sleep without a disruption of flow. That being said, the 86 sig, even though certified authentic ... Looks suspicious to me ... The 'flow' looks wrong ... Or should I say disrupted. Maybe it's legit and he stopped to talk in the middle of signing ...but to me the uncertified looks more authentic than the certified auto. .... But he was also a kid when he signed the '86. Auto authentications are really a tough science.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(06-22-2014, 07:03 AM)magicpapa Wrote: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Anything in particular you are looking at, or just buying circumstances?
(06-22-2014, 07:22 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: 1st, congrats on your pick-up on a nice looking card! Auto looks good to me , but I'm no expert. I'd get it authenticated. Not sure of that cost and if your just going to keep it, no rush in getting it done.
And thanks for the feedback joe/doc... I'm by no means an auto-expert either. I was looking at the flow too and in particular the "mark" seems consistent with others. It's almost toooooo good lol. Whoever signed it has some nice penmanship! Current plans are to get it authenticated, but more for my own piece of mind (I will crack the authentic slab and remove the card for display purposes when it comes back). May have been better off waiting and dropping on a psa authentic, but I haven't seen one on an 89 topps card for a while, and when I did it had a $150 tag on it.

Seller guaranteed the auto for up to 6 months which is a plus. We'll see how they handle it if it comes back non-authentic and we're outside of e bay's return policy window. Also, the seller hasn't sold any other mcgwire autos (or too many autos period) that I can see, so its not like he mastered Mark's sig and is cranking them out...
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(06-22-2014, 10:11 AM)petillo64 Wrote: Seller guaranteed the auto for up to 6 months which is a plus. We'll see how they handle it if it comes back non-authentic and we're outside of e bay's return policy window. Also, the seller hasn't sold any other mcgwire autos (or too many autos period) that I can see, so its not like he mastered Mark's sig and is cranking them out...
All good indicators, Dominic.
I think that you might have picked up a bargain Big Mac!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.