`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tony Gwynn Questions

RE: Tony Gwynn Questions
(06-17-2014, 11:51 AM)petillo64 Wrote: It creeped me out seeing all the bob welch autos thrown up on the bay with deceased dates in the listing. Prices did double at least for a little bit...

His passing did make me jump on a signed '89 topps auto of him for my '89 World Series project as I didn't know how many would be out there and obviously TTM/IP was now out of the question. Welch was one of my favorite players in the 88-90 heyday, and learning about his struggles through alcoholism (as the first mlb'er... Or one of the first, Openly in recovery) really gave me a lot of respect for him and I'm very happy to own the card which offsets the guilt from buying an RIP auction. Now, I'm sending it off for authentication right away, and if someone threw up a forged IP auto with an RIP listing that is SUPER shady.
While people may have put them up for sale at double the price other then the one you bought did any of them actually sell is the question lol. As someone said if you are a true baseball fan its a time to mourn not to sell I was going to put up a Gwynn rookie and a few of his other early year cards on ebay until I had heard of his death now I have decided to hold off for a while mourn the loss of a truly talented player now then maybe try to sell them at a later date

(06-17-2014, 07:36 PM)hi desert paul Wrote: While people may have put them up for sale at double the price other then the one you bought did any of them actually sell is the question lol. As someone said if you are a true baseball fan its a time to mourn not to sell I was going to put up a Gwynn rookie and a few of his other early year cards on ebay until I had heard of his death now I have decided to hold off for a while mourn the loss of a truly talented player now then maybe try to sell them at a later date
They were going at auction for 3-4 times what they were pre-passing. $6 delivered before, $20+ delivered after... Same exact card
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

unfortunately, gwynn's rookie was pretty much mass produced. if it was for your own set, i'd see no problem cracking the set and getting it graded, for your own collection. other than that, rookie cards won't necessarily go up on value unless a player is still active and going for some sort of significant number. maybe a slight bump when a plater reaches the hall of fame, but other than that, it's kind of a no no to base a bump on a person's death. most collectors hate that.