`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Clark

Will Clark
The guy had a sweet swing. How do you rate his career?

RE: Will Clark
He has a huge fan base still. His career was tragically cut short by injuries but you won't find a more intense competitor in baseball. If he could have stayed healthy I could see him being talked about for HOF. Had one of the sweetest looking swings in baseball and his penmanship is top-notch too Smile
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

I thought he was headed for the Hall of Fame and had a huge collection of his cards. Can't believe he didn't stay on the ballot more than one year.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I remember as a kid watching him play at Candlestick Park. I was an instant fan the first time I saw him play. My family relocated to Texas soon after he got traded to the Rangers so I still got to go see him play in Arlington as well. I can't even say how many thousands of his cards that I have collected over the years.

While we are on the subject, does anyone else get a Will Clark vibe when watching Brandon Belt play? Maybe it is just my nostalgia kicking in...

He was my favorite player when I was younger. As Pete said, injuries cost him a shot at the Hall imo. I smile when I think back at how I used try to emulate his swing. I hit right handed mind you, but I used to love stepping over to the other side of the plate and try to swing like him when we played home run derbySmile

(06-16-2014, 03:28 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: He was my favorite player when I was younger. As Pete said, injuries cost him a shot at the Hall imo. I smile when I think back at how I used try to emulate his swing. I hit right handed mind you, but I used to love stepping over to the other side of the plate and try to swing like him when we played home run derbySmile
I did the same thing. I could occasionally make contact swinging lefty but it was usually an embarrassing looking swing. Clark will always be one of my PC guys, hope he gets more involved with the Giants as the years go on
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

(06-16-2014, 03:40 PM)petesahuttt Wrote: I did the same thing. I could occasionally make contact swinging lefty but it was usually an embarrassing looking swing. Clark will always be one of my PC guys, hope he gets more involved with the Giants as the years go on
Yeah, it was never as pretty as Will made it lookSmile Right up there with Griffey as far as LH swings are concerned!

Will Clark is probably my all time favorite player. I remember trying to copy his eye black back in little league. I had a nice little PC of his going as a kid (probably about 50 different cards). Now I have about 1000+ different cards of his. He's actually one of the big reasons I got back into collecting. I remember being totally bummed when he left the Giants for the Rangers.

It's too bad his career was cut short by injuries. If I'm not mistaken I think he also retired to be able to spend more time with his family. He's definitely one of the biggest "fan favorite" players who's not in the hall. It is great to still see him working around the Giants front office and as a guest during game broadcasts. I would be nice to see him take on more of a role with the Giants as Petesahutt said.

I love Brandon Belt also and I started a nice little PC of his after the many comps of him to Clark. The biggest difference I've seen though is the confidence. Sometimes it seems as if Belt becomes lost at the plate and beats himself up too much over it whereas Clark seemed much more of a natural. Will Clark rarely lacked for confidence which I think rubbed some people the wrong way. But you gotta love that enthusiasm he played with. Hall or not he'll always be a legend of the game in my mind.

The one thing I liked about Clark going to the Rangers was it allowed me to see him play in person for the first time (since interleague play had not yet begun). When the Rangers played the Tigers in Detroit after signing him I got to see him play in person at old Tiger Stadium. Made sure I got there before batting practice. Made my way down close to the field during BP just so I could watch him up closeSmile I feel like a stalker thinking back on that, lol!

Agree.His swing was as sweet as his sig

[Image: clark_zpsb30cfc92.jpg]