`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
And the Exodus Begins

RE: And the Exodus Begins
(06-09-2014, 04:10 PM)ceocards Wrote: That's the price for the Price Guides (which comes with free organize). The $40 is the price for just the organize (no price guides)

Sorry, got it. I thought he was saying $40/month.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

I've been doing the Dynamic Duo for years. Price went from $99 to $109 for 1 year of the baseball mag, 1 year of OPG and 1 year of ORG. I don't think that's a bad deal. I guess if you were getting everything for free, sure the sticker shock is there ... But still, for less than $10 a month? 12 issues of the price guide magazine, and a year of ORG and OPG. I was buying the magazine off the stands and the yearly price guide book ... Not a bad deal as far as I was concerned, but that's just me. ORG isn't perfect, but it's more organized Thani would have been without it. Smile I'm sticking around.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(06-09-2014, 11:52 AM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: Why would somebody on the editorial side of things respond to something that's obviously a business operations issue?

"Editor" is not the fully-encapsulating title people seem to think it is. I was an "editor" for 10 years and what I did was write my own pieces, edit the ones written by others and put in my two cents on photos, design and layout, etc.

I'm guessing Chris' role is similar.

The only "editors" that typically have any say in business matters is the editor-in-chief ... a role that actually involves very little editing.
I was hoping Chris could shed some light on some of the questions/concerns members have since he does work for Beckett. But then again he is only the "Baseball editor" and not a member/trader/friend to any of us on the boards. I see your point.

Chris has no say, other than to be a "sounding board" so to speak with corporate decisions. His role has nothing to do with OPG's, ORG's, etc.

Regards
Rich
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.

(06-11-2014, 08:16 AM)richk Wrote: Chris has no say, other than to be a "sounding board" so to speak with corporate decisions. His role has nothing to do with OPG's, ORG's, etc.

Regards
Rich
This +1 times 1,000.

There's also a possibility Chris and other Beckett staffers have been told to not respond - publicly or otherwise - about management/business decisions. Every company I've worked for has given that edict in regards to unpopular or controversial decisions.
Kepler

(06-11-2014, 10:38 AM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: This +1 times 1,000.

There's also a possibility Chris and other Beckett staffers have been told to not respond - publicly or otherwise - about management/business decisions. Every company I've worked for has given that edict in regards to unpopular or controversial decisions.
+1. Agree, but think folks are just trying to get a response from somebody and Chris is the only one (that I can recall) ever seen on the boards excl. Mods. Plus I wouldn't want to be the person taking the wrath of this group!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(06-11-2014, 11:38 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: +1. Agree, but think folks are just trying to get a response from somebody and Chris is the only one (that I can recall) ever seen on the boards excl. Mods. Plus I wouldn't want to be the person taking the wrath of this group!
Exactly my point. Thanks Joe. Beckett staff have not endorsed their own product on their own message boards. How does Beckett expect members to keep paying for a product that has been broken for quite some time. When it comes to customer service, paying customers want some type inclination that Beckett will make this site worth the price increase and extra services that members have to pay for.

okay so let me get this right? I have read and read and read on this subject. If I stay my org. cost moves from $20 a year to $40 a year but no extra cost will be afforded to me? Help a brother out on this, please. And thanks!

the hobby has changed from 20 years ago, from 10 years ago, to even 5 years ago. it's partially beckett, it's partially the hobby, it's partially the environment we live in now. it's bound to happen eventually.

the legends of the game were from pre-1970s. but those legends are more or less being forgotten. the 1970s to 1990s was a glut market, not to mention the steroid era. not worth collecting for the most part. the 2000s and now, we're finally realizing that the cards we paid big bucks for are not holding they're own. and the post millennium sets are more or less just not going to be worth much. no set will be worth much after a player stops playing. you'll have your one or two oddities (i.e. most notably the current holy grail, lebron exquisite) but other than that, your sets from today is never going to hold their own. and though most of you are hobbyist, and you'll still collect what you want, you have to admit, at least 50% of those who have been on this site or on other sites were speculators or, like myself, just crazy gamblers...i'll admit, i enjoy the hobby, but the thrill of the bust is what drives me.

so it shouldn't surprise you to see a large drop off...most of those who remain are here for the long haul and the true reason why you visit these sites, you just enjoy the hobby. though less people, it should be better quality. should be...