`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pc questions

Pc questions
I've been "hardcore" collecting hockey cards for about 9 months now and still have many questions about collecting. I collect a lot of different cards/sets/teams/players, and I wanted to get fellow collectors input or suggestions on how to collect. I just completed the 2010-11 Playoff Contenders set, and like to break open varying products just to figure out what sets I want. In saying that how do you guys/gals collect players? Should I go for 1/1s or similar cards out of 5, 10, or even 25? Also my Gf loves UD Ice, I was wondering if I should chase the entire set (I know MacKinnon is going for like $300).

Thanks as always for the input
Raff

RE: Pc questions
For me personally it comes down to $$, there are a lot of sets and players I'd love to collect but I can afford the big name guys and then I end up giving up. We've been able to super collect galiardi only because you can get his cards at really Good prices. But if you do decide to collect a player you can go for certain cards or go full on it just depends what you prefer and what you can afford.

As a team collector myself ( Canucks and Senators), I don't personally care which brand/set/company I get my PC cards from, so long as I get 'em! Obviously though, I trade for what I can afford.
[Image: opiebanner.png]

Thanks to Tha Penguin for the banner!
Always looking for Senators and Canucks cards.

Opie's Senators Collection: 4036/14396 28.3%, according to Beckett's database

Do you guys go for base cards as well or just inserts, autos, mem?

I'm both a set collector and a player collector. I only have 2 player collections though due to the cost of obtaining cards. One is very personal which i know i'll never finish (he has 16 1/1 cards out of 60 cards total) the other is insanely popular still so i'll never get all of her stuff.

I'm mainly a set collector although that itself is hard on the budget as well. There aren't and LCS around me so i basiclly by a box or 2 off the internet while trying to trade/buy singles for the rest.

as far as the upper deck ice goes, thats a beautiful set and your girlfriend has good taste. whats her number? ha. just kidding. That set is insanly hard to complete and if you are okay with never completing a set, go for it. That's a filler set for me, i know i'll never complete it but if i cant find anything i want for trade, i'll use them as filler cards. ebay you can buy some of them pretty cheap but the boxes are pretty expensive and the return isnt much.

As far as what in the set to collect, it depends on what you like.
I only like the premium patches for the 2009-10 Ultimate collection, so thats all i'm focused on for that set. I like all of the cards from the 2001-02 atomic so thats what i'm after.
as far as 2010-11 pinnacle goes, i went after the base set, inserts and auto rc's for that one and left it at that.

It really depends on how mcuh you want to spend and what you want to collect. One of my biggest regrets was never finishing the 2007-08 gold medallion set. I was 30 cards away from finishing but wasn't focused on it so i let most of them go away. Chasing the sub sets and the low print SN sets are pretty sweet cause you know you'll only be 1 of 399, or 199 to have the complete set but it can get costly and frustration. Do whatever makes you feel good inside. ya know, like warms your inside. that kinda sweet and touchy stuff. not enough sleep and too much coffee wants me to continue this post, but you're new here and we've got a trade going...so i dont want to scare you off. It's already lonely enough around here lately.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

I'm a team collector (Edmonton Oilers). I collect all I can get my hands on and can afford, base, SP's, inserts,auto's, memorabilia, parallels and oddball cards. I only go for 1/1's if it's affordable.
Always looking for Oiler Cards.  
Currently have 17k + different Oilers Cards
Other Projects
Black Diamond up to 14-15 SPs 
Need 18 McDonald Inserts
Need 5 OPC 09-10 Canadian Heroes Rainbow
Need 5 OPC 12-13 Popups
Need 6 97-98 Donruss Preferred
Need 2 02-03 Topps Heritage
All wants listed in org

Like Duane, I'm after any cards of my team(s)
[Image: opiebanner.png]

Thanks to Tha Penguin for the banner!
Always looking for Senators and Canucks cards.

Opie's Senators Collection: 4036/14396 28.3%, according to Beckett's database

I will echo the others' comments. I am a team collector and collect anything and everything from my team.

I collect the Minnesota Wild/North Stars, but usually only purchase Upper Deck or ITG brands. Sometimes I make an exception if it's an on card auto or a sweet patch (Dominion). If it's an auto in any product, in most cases it needs to be on card. I also like to collect a couple cards from some Montreal Canadiens players (Subban, Pacioretty, Roy, ect). Plus, I collect former Golden Gophers SP Authentic Autos and/or Patch/Autos.

People collect for their own reasons, and nine months is a pretty short time to figure out what you want to focus on, I think. Just let things play out for a while and see what happens.

Personally, if you played for the Blackhawks your entire career and:
Are in the HOF, or
Have your # retired, or
Are currently on the roster,
I collect everything about you.

However, if your name is Duncan Keith, you take precedence over everyone else, sometimes even recent Stan Mikita specimens if I'm stuck choosing between two cards. Why do you take precedence over every other 'Hawk, Mr. Keith? Because you are an incredibly smart player, an all-around bad man minutes-eater as a hockey player, and nice guy as a Family man from what I've read. Good luck on the Norris! I hope you add to your collection!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.