`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eBay making cards worthless???

eBay making cards worthless???
I have just gotten back into collecting cards as a hobby.I have been collecting cards since I was like 8yrs old.In order to constantly be getting new cards,I trade cards and recently opened my eBay store back up to sell cards to make a little extra money to buy new cards.I got OUT of collecting about 5 years ago because I was turned off by how the grading companies had essentially monopolized the card industry because of the internet.Now as I am looking up values of certain raw cards on eBay before listing them in my eBay store,I am constantly seeing cards with a book value of $20-25 being sold for $2.99 with free shipping,even though it costs over $3.00 to ship a card via USPS with a tracking #?What is going on???Why would anyone sell a card to lose money?Also it drives down the price of everyone else's cards.Anyways I'm wondering,whats the point and is the card market just as dead as is was 5 years ago?Someone please explain???

Thanks!

RE: eBay making cards worthless???
Welcome back to the hobby, here are my opinions on your questions lol:
1) too many people selling the same card, everyone has to lowball everyone else in order to make a sale=no money
2) if they're selling a card for 2.99 with free shipping, don't be shocked if they are irresponsible and ship in a plain white envelope
3) ebay is for buyers, definitely not sellers

Hopefully you can find your own unique niche in order to get some money to put back into your hobby!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(04-30-2014, 12:32 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: Welcome back to the hobby, here are my opinions on your questions lol:
1) too many people selling the same card, everyone has to lowball everyone else in order to make a sale=no money
2) if they're selling a card for 2.99 with free shipping, don't be shocked if they are irresponsible and ship in a plain white envelope
3) ebay is for buyers, definitely not sellers

Hopefully you can find your own unique niche in order to get some money to put back into your hobby!
Thanks man!I love sports and cards,it just amazes me how de-valued they have become!Oh well,I think trades might be the way to go!

If you're trying to make money you are in the wrong business with sports cards in this day and age. The internet greatly increased the supply side of the equation thus lowering the cost. I like that things are so cheap because I am mostly a collector. I've been able to build up some very nice PC's because of how the internet has drove down the prices of things.

I do sell here and there to offset some of my spending. Sometimes I've been able to find something on ebay as soon as it hit at a killer price and flip for a quick profit, but that doesn't really happen as much as it used to.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65