`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of collecting questions

A couple of collecting questions
I have seen the term "rainbow" used numerous times and assume that it refers to a specific base card and all of it's parallels. Also I have seen the term "super collector" used in conjunction with PC collecting. What constitues a super collector, a certain percentage of the total number of cards produced for a player/team? When it comes to super collecting my assumption is that includes all cards of a particular player/team irregardless of manufacturer, and such cards as league leaders (i.e., Home Runs, ERA, etc.), All-Stars, parallels and others. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

RE: A couple of collecting questions
Well I'm a goldy super collector and being a super collector of a player or team to me means you try and get everything for that particular player or team you can. I try and get every single card ever made for goldy, not really possible but it's fun to do!
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

Yeah just like ryanmo5 said, its trying to obtain everything from a certain player or team but coming to think of it it can also be a supercollector of say all topps sets ever made or something like that!! I guess it comes down to owning a lot of something. I am trying to get every single andres galarraga card ever made or at least in the beckett data base (impossible) but i have around 25% of them Wink
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

I try to collect every single card of every single Hall of Famer. I have a massive collection but I never considered myself a supercollector . . . just obsessive. I also limit my collection to cards, coins, matchbooks, stickers, magnets, stamps, tattoos, etc. Anything that would fit in a 9-pocket page. I stay away from oversize items and memorabilia. I have to draw the line somewhere.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

"Super Collector" means whatever you want it to mean. Some folks it's every and any card, some folks its auto's. Nolan5000 collects only Nolan Ryan Beckett graded cards. Pete collects Mini's. Others collect every card in particular sets (GQ, Heritage, Bowman Chrome, Topps base ect.), some collect only the base sets.

Rainbows again are what you want them to be, As a team collector, I try to get every and any card made for the Phillies including League Leader, Power Play, toploader 3 panal, insert cards ect.. I do however exclude 1/1's from my collecting goals as it's impossible plus overly expensive. So my "rainbows" for say topps base series1 2014 Phillies = 10 player cards with 12 cards per player or 120 cards. I have 1 player completed with the others at 50%+. Doesn't seem like much, 120 cards, but it can get very expensive esp. if a player is a superstar or highly collected, plus I'm chasing after Heritage & GQ & Opening Day at the same time (for now before other products come out). My long winded response is that I consider a Rainbow completed excluding 1/1's....others probably disagree with me but what are you gonna do!

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

My interpretation of a super collector as someone who focuses their collecting on a specific player, team or brand. Anyone could deem themselves a "super collector" and then use the percentages as a status level of their achievement toward whatever their goal is of super collecting.
I've dabbled a little in super collecting. I began to super collect Brandon Belt but got a little burnt out and decided to hone the collecting into just his minor league cards and rookie year. I felt like it was draining funds away from the rest of my PC and putting too many eggs in one basket. I've also slowly been super collecting Will Clark (my favorite player as a kid). I remember when I was about 12 I had a stack of about 50 and was so proud of how many I had. Now I have about 869 always looking for one I don't have.
As for rainbows, I love making them. I just wish I had enough for a super...

Thanks one and all for the responses. My intention is to focus on a few particular players and hope to one day call myself a super collector of one or more of them, though at this point I only have about 5% of what Beckett lists for Steve Garvey and around 1% of Willie McCovey. But you have to start somewhere and I expect the numbers to climb as each have a number of inexpensive cards that I do not yet have.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=