`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Worth it?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
8.33%
1 8.33%
No
91.67%
11 91.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996-97 Ultra Platinum Medallions Basketball Set

1996-97 Ultra Platinum Medallions Basketball Set
Opinions: Is it worth putting this set together? Forget about the time being put into it and the amount of cash that will require to put this set together. Do you think after the set has been completed and done, the seller of the set would be able to get their money back if selling it as a lot?

RE: 1996-97 Ultra Platinum Medallions Basketball Set
Looks like everyone is in agreement with my assumption. I know sets in general will sell for less than if they were broken out. Not to mention, you have 300 cards even with $2 a card for shipping from different sellers will cost you $600 just in shipping. Then there is the idea of supply and demand. You find only one of a particular player, you're forced to pick it up at the asking price. Etc Etc...but it would just be so amazing to have that set in your possession.

In general I love the thrill of the hunt of rare sets tho. If you're putting sets together to sell though you are in the wrong business. Just do it for the thrill of the chase and the feeling of accomplishment when you complete a rare set.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

(04-25-2014, 02:00 PM)crimedawg47 Wrote: In general I love the thrill of the hunt of rare sets tho. If you're putting sets together to sell though you are in the wrong business. Just do it for the thrill of the chase and the feeling of accomplishment when you complete a rare set.
Of course, totally! I collect more sets than I do individual cards to be honest. I have a ton of sets which I am selling now just because I think it's time for someone else to enjoy. But at the very least, you don't want to spend so much and not be able to make at least a decent portion of it if GOD forbit it's a rainy day.

I voted no, while I chase some equally old parallel sets ( currently 1997-98 Fleer Tiffany and 1998-99 Fleer Classic '61 ). You won't get your money back but, if you do pursue it, be as picky as you want. There's no real way to complete them in a hurry, and with no guarantee that it'll ever be completed, quality over quantity is the best investment.
PC: Scottie Pippen(active years), Fleer master sets (all inserts/parallels,  base Fleer only),
Bucket Updated  10/21: http://s890.photobucket.com/user/carrollm09/library/ (extremely outdated, who even uses photobucket anymore?!)

I understand. I am currently in a hunt for an extremely hard, probably impossible set so I know the feeling. I mean way harder than the platinum medallions set and a lot more expensive so...right there with you.

I also voted no, but that would be an awesome set to have. And it would be fun to chase. I am voting yes, to you doing it.
SET NEEDS;
2012 tribute blue autos - need most
1995-98 football inserts

It would be an amazing set to have and most likely you wouldn't get your money back. However you might not be that far off if you got the right deals and got some in lots (or at least on COMC to save on shipping). A big problem is that the market for that complete set is rather limited, as plenty of people would love to own it but much fewer could afford it (or be willing to pay what it would take to own it). However the bigger problem is that it is an older set where some commons aren't easy to find and plenty of people that have them are wanting full book or higher for commons. So you would have to be really patient in waiting for the right deal, as you could easily put the set together and WAY overpay for some cards, which would guarantee that you won't get your money back when selling the set.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

That's a problem I have. When I start chasing a set, it's full determination. I just pick up whatever is available. No waiting for a better deal lol

(04-26-2014, 10:42 AM)wegotthattoo Wrote: That's a problem I have. When I start chasing a set, it's full determination. I just pick up whatever is available. No waiting for a better deal lol
In that case you will definitely lose money (probably A LOT too) if you try to flip the set after building it like that. I have put together some nice costly sets, and if you want to flip them then the key is patience in getting some of the cards. The key is to not only not overpay, but to pick up as many as you can at bargain prices.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/