`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGS - Autograph Grade - Clarification needed!

BGS - Autograph Grade - Clarification needed!
Hey everyone - quick question for those of you who are familiar with the BGS system. If a card receives a grade of 9 for the autograph, whatis the criteria for that grade. Is it:
1. The autograph is not perfect in regards to authenticity (similarity) of their autographs on file? Basically the player scribbled something that was not consistent with their regular signature.
Or
2. The autograph is not bold and sharp. For example the marker may have been running dry or some of the auto has light streaks (or lifting - such as the problem with topps tribute on card autos)

I haven't seen any grades for the auto below a 9, but was hoping someone could give me clarification so I know what to look for when submitting auto cards for grading ( avoid getting 9s )

Thanks!!
Chris

RE: BGS - Autograph Grade - Clarification needed!
(04-17-2014, 12:27 PM)chgolf82 Wrote: Hey everyone - quick question for those of you who are familiar with the BGS system. If a card receives a grade of 9 for the autograph, whatis the criteria for that grade. Is it:
1. The autograph is not perfect in regards to authenticity (similarity) of their autographs on file? Basically the player scribbled something that was not consistent with their regular signature.
Or
2. The autograph is not bold and sharp. For example the marker may have been running dry or some of the auto has light streaks (or lifting - such as the problem with topps tribute on card autos)

I haven't seen any grades for the auto below a 9, but was hoping someone could give me clarification so I know what to look for when submitting auto cards for grading ( avoid getting 9s )

Thanks!!
Chris
Your #2 example is the reason. You can also get a 9 IF any part of the Auto runs off the sticker for sticker Auto's. OR for shadowbox Auto's where any part of the Auto touches any part of the shadowbox.

I hope that this helps. Let me know IF you need more help.
Here you go. This is right off of Beckett's website:

Autograph Grading Scale (5 through 10):

10 - A beautiful, boldly signed autograph that appears nearly perfect to the naked eye. Under normal viewing, it looks like an aesthetically- pleasing autograph.

9 - This is a signature that is also very pleasing, but has slight imperfections that barely detract from the autograph. Very light bubbling or micro scratching is allowable, but no yellowing, fading, or smearing. Positioning should be nearly perfect - with just the very tips of a letter or two cut off or hidden.

8 - At this level, some flaws begin to stand out slightly. Signature is still solid and pleasing, but might be somewhat bubbled throughout, or have areas of minor scuffing/scratching that detracts from the aesthetic beauty of the signature. Only lightly visible yellowing or fading or smearing is allowed. A cut signature may only have 10% of the signature hidden (or missing, when referring to a sticker autograph). Only a very small tip of the signature may run off or bleed onto the edge.

7 - Flaws are evident, including heavy bubbling throughout, noticeable scratching, minor but noticeable yellowing or fading, small but obvious portions of smeared ink. Up to 20% of a cut autograph may be hidden, or 20% of a sticker auto may be missing. A portion of the signature may run off the card or may bleed onto the edge.

6 - Heavy flaws are easily visible and highly distracting, including bubbling to the point of portions of the autograph being essentially invisible, extremely distracting scratching, yellowing or fading, or significantly smeared ink on multiple areas of the autograph. Up to 35% of a cut autograph/sticker may be hidden/missing. Several letters of the signature may run off the card, bleeding onto the edge or opposite side of the card.

5 - Very heavy flaws that highly distract from the autograph, including portions of the autograph being completely removed or invisible, catastrophic scratching throughout the entire autograph, extremely heavy yellowing, massive fading of the entire signature, smeared ink throughout the entire autograph. Over 50% of a cut autograph/sticker may be hidden/missing.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Awesome, thanks for the clear answer! I really appreciate it.

(04-17-2014, 01:53 PM)chgolf82 Wrote: Awesome, thanks for the clear answer! I really appreciate it.
You're most Welcome!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!