`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autopen or Real?

Autopen or Real?
Got this signed letter from my grandfather from former Phillies owner R.R.M. Carpenter Jr. Does it look like a legitimate signature or autopen?

[Image: 1888440_10152090382792875_68289904143843...a3684b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1320_zps4bdf7b1b.jpg]

RE: Autopen or Real?
I believe they first started using autopen in the late 1930s so depending on how old your document is that may come into play. I personally can't always tell the difference between autopen and a real sig.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(04-10-2014, 04:41 PM)zeprock Wrote: I believe they first started using autopen in the late 1930s so depending on how old your document is that may come into play. I personally can't always tell the difference between autopen and a real sig.
I would never have guessed that they were used THAT early! Wow! I wonder how many 'authentic' sigs out there that are actually auto-penned?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

It's from the 60s or 50s. The pen stroke is not the same thickness throughout and there's no dots at the beginning and end, which are both indicators of autopen

I'm in no way an expert, buy I think that is real. However, I don't think he signed it (probably secretary). Can't imagine someone in that position wasting thier time answering a WS reservation request....but being Philadelphia at that time, maybe they were shocked at a request!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

That's kinda tough to tell....it does look autopenned, but I am nowhere near an expert on this topic! Best idea, however, is to send it to a company to have it looked at and see what the verdict is!
[Image: 89b2fe3.png]

Thanks to jbel4331 for the photo!

First Win: 06/17/2016
First Win

Tsp not shaky, it's fluid, no stopping and staring on the dots, I'd say real
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75