`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collections come in ... Rarely anything good

Collections come in ... Rarely anything good
Everyone knows I collect, so it was no surprise that a friend of mine had a buddy that was looking to sell a collection. I told him, if it was a bunch of football or basketball or hockey or Topps/donruss/fleer baseball from 1988-1992 to forget it. He told me there's some of that, but it was mostly 1070's and 2003-2004. So I said, might as well bring it in. He came in with about 300lbs of cards in 4 huge boxes.
Results
90% Topps/donruss/fleer baseball from 1988-1992
5% football and basketball and non sport cards
2% unopened packs of 1990 fleer/topps cello packs
The remaining cards were interesting, but not worth the hassle .... Skybox and ultras that were all stuck together ... UGGGGH.
I box of 1982 Topps ( but no Ripken rookie ... Too bad)
A few 2004 manufactured patch cards with the glue melted and the patches slid to the right and a few GU Arod Rangers cards. The single good card in the batch was a Roy Oswalt auto sweet spot card /25. I should have taken a picture of this mess. I offered him $15 .... $20 for the Oswalt auto and a credit to me $5 to throw out the rest of the cards Smile of course I didn't want any of it and they came to pick them up within the hour. Disappointed. Was hoping something nice, so I could actually justify buying it. Oh well.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Collections come in ... Rarely anything good
haha oh man.....i bet they thought you were just being a jerk and thought they had a goldmine.

This is why my LCS owner doesn't buy anything but vintage, people call all the time and he just says unless its X year or older he doesnt buy

It is so rare that you can pick up a collection these days and find anything worthwhile in it. I had a co-worker bring me in a sandwich bag of cards that she'd found in her mother's house and thought she'd stumbled across something she could covert to cash. Beat up, creased 1988-1990 Donruss and Topps commons. Total value = $0. She thought I knew cards. Now she's not so sure.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I CONSTANTLY have calls and walk ins of people selling their "old" cards.....from the late 80s of course.

Apparently, 90 percent of every late 80s baseball card produced are collecting dust in every Bronx ny house....And they find their way to my store.

(03-12-2014, 09:23 AM)rentzington Wrote: haha oh man.....i bet they thought you were just being a jerk and thought they had a goldmine.
This is why my LCS owner doesn't buy anything but vintage, people call all the time and he just says unless its X year or older he doesnt buy
They probably thought that I was a jerk. While going through everything, I picked out some of the better $1-$3 cards and some of the $10 cards that were mixed in and combined them in 1 box. I put some of the better 82 topps cards in pennysleeves to protect them. The collection left in better shape than when it arrived. I'm such a jerk. Smile
(03-12-2014, 07:42 PM)bbcgalaxee Wrote: I CONSTANTLY have calls and walk ins of people selling their "old" cards.....from the late 80s of course.

Apparently, 90 percent of every late 80s baseball card produced are collecting dust in every Bronx ny house....And they find their way to my store.
A couple of more brutal winters like you've been having and those cards values will go waaaaaay up .... Worth more as kindling Smile
(03-12-2014, 03:10 PM)zeprock Wrote: It is so rare that you can pick up a collection these days and find anything worthwhile in it. I had a co-worker bring me in a sandwich bag of cards that she'd found in her mother's house and thought she'd stumbled across something she could covert to cash. Beat up, creased 1988-1990 Donruss and Topps commons. Total value = $0. She thought I knew cards. Now she's not so sure.
It's actually funny when people tell me that they have comics or cards that are 30 years old and must be worth a semester or two of college for their kids. They bring them in all proud and then show me a price guide ... and I explain condition ... " but they're 30 year old cards (or comics)? They should have some creases, right?"
I just laugh sometimes.
I think I'm going to go through all my old cards and dump them now, save my kids or ancestors the heartbreak of some guy laughing at all the junk in their inheritance at some eventual future date in time. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Ah yes...I have been in the LCS many-a-time when the shop owner answers the phone and states, "we buy/trade for RCs, game-used, and autographed cards, if you have any of those I would be glad to take a look..."
"Again...we buy/trade for RCs, game-used, and autographed cards, if you have any of those I would be glad to take a look..."
"Sir, I am sir your second year Griffey Jr cards are in great condition, but my customers don't really buy many of those from my shop..."
Collecting: Fred McGriff, Chipper, Griffey, and Todd Helton.
[Image: 0989_001-1.jpg]

Do any of you guys have stores in WA? I'm transferring up to the Seattle area in May and need to find a good LCS.
[Image: XjsuPlx.jpg]