`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
What Are Your On-line Sources For Card Purchases?

What Are Your On-line Sources For Card Purchases?
I'm done a lot of buying and selling on E-Bay over the years. It's always been a great place for a lot of people to be exposed to listed cards for sell and as a buying it's been one of the few places that I have felt comfortable purchasing cards at reasonable prices on line.

In the last year, I've sold more on line than I've purchased, on average selling 20-30 items and purchasing 5-10./month. This is disturbing because I used to buy about 40-50 items a month or more.

At first I thought it was because I wasn't impressed with the numerous products and rookie class of 2013. Since I spend most of my time buying stuff from previous years, I realized that with E-Bay being my main source that a lot of sellers have left and moved over to other places. Ther just isn't as much product out there listed any more.

Where are you going to do most of your shopping for singles now? I've checked out COMC and find cards ridiculously overpriced that sit for over a year and never budge in price. What other sources are out there? It's getting harder to find cards to compltes many sets now!

Share your thoughts and some of your sources. Thanks.

RE: What Are Your On-line Sources For Card Purchases?
I spend most of my money on Ebay. Occasionally hit COMC and about 1/3rd has been thru Blowout Forums. I really do believe its this years product and class that is hurting the market. Not much excitement around it which translates to less product being opened which also translates to less product from all years being sold to buy new product. I havent listed much because its just not worth it to sell $5 cards which means I also havent had the "need" for money so to speak to dig into my collection to sell different years product.

If nothing drives you then there is no need or desire to sell to buy what normally drives us. When you are heavily purchasing do you find yourself selling more?
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(03-08-2014, 09:09 AM)branesergen Wrote: I spend most of my money on Ebay. Occasionally hit COMC and about 1/3rd has been thru Blowout Forums. I really do believe its this years product and class that is hurting the market. Not much excitement around it which translates to less product being opened which also translates to less product from all years being sold to buy new product. I havent listed much because its just not worth it to sell $5 cards which means I also havent had the "need" for money so to speak to dig into my collection to sell different years product.

If nothing drives you then there is no need or desire to sell to buy what normally drives us. When you are heavily purchasing do you find yourself selling more?
Surprisingly, no. Usually I'm purchasing new stuff for new sets. More often than not, my old sets sit while I'm buying. When stuff is hot, a lot of people start breaking and selling old stuff to make room (and have money) for new stuff. The stuff for old set cards start showing up more on e-bay to move it.

When interest in new stuff goes down, I start to lose interest in some older sets and cards in my collection. Then I start selling a lot more.

Most of the season, I was selling sets and cards from 2009. How slowly those cards moved made me even less interested in 2013 stuff.

The bright side for BGS is I went back and started grading a lot of stuff again.

mainly ebay and a little Comc

Ebay and Trading sites. I get really good deals on Ebay with the cards I want. I get some good deals on trading. Then there are those who try to capitalize on me for cards for my PC. I do negotiate with certain members because they are in the hobby of collecting. Then dealing with people who want to avoid paying their fees on other sites and inflate prices on their cards. One guy offered me a Topps Chrome Auto Quinton Patton. He was trying to get me to pay $12 more than what the card was selling on Ebay, I told him I don't pay over Ebay and I don't pay their fees. People are trying to manipulate the system. Floydtown could have made me pay in our trade, but he didn't. He hooked me up with 34 cards for a Marcus Lattimore Auto. My end booked $30 and his end was close to $90. I have much respect for people like Flloydtown. I have a friend SavageNate who included some Patton Cards to a trade from another member. He told me that he was thinking of me. That is awsome in my book. I tried COMC and I wasn't really impressed. I bought 3 nice Quinton Patton GU cards on Ebay for less than $15.
Quinton Patton's GU and Autos

eBay sportlots comc sportbuy, Beckett marketplace and trade forums. Pretty much any place I can find new Mari os
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(03-08-2014, 09:01 AM)melcmd Wrote: I'm done a lot of buying and selling on E-Bay over the years. It's always been a great place for a lot of people to be exposed to listed cards for sell and as a buying it's been one of the few places that I have felt comfortable purchasing cards at reasonable prices on line.

In the last year, I've sold more on line than I've purchased, on average selling 20-30 items and purchasing 5-10./month. This is disturbing because I used to buy about 40-50 items a month or more.

At first I thought it was because I wasn't impressed with the numerous products and rookie class of 2013. Since I spend most of my time buying stuff from previous years, I realized that with E-Bay being my main source that a lot of sellers have left and moved over to other places. Ther just isn't as much product out there listed any more.

Where are you going to do most of your shopping for singles now? I've checked out COMC and find cards ridiculously overpriced that sit for over a year and never budge in price. What other sources are out there? It's getting harder to find cards to compltes many sets now!

Share your thoughts and some of your sources. Thanks.
I personally still prefer to buy my cards through eBay, although I still occasionally buy from COMC depending on the circumstance. Not too much new stuff makes its way to the COMC website on a daily basis, especially cards of players that are not terribly popular with collectors. If there are rare cards (I should stress "rare") listed of a player I collect on other sites I would strongly consider buying on there as well.

Sometimes I wish eBay was exclusively about bidding on listings instead of also incorporating the BIN option. It can be a rush trying to outbid everyone within your own personal limits and becoming the winner in the closing moments of an auction of a card you really want.

I have not noticed a decline of listed items on eBay, at least of players I collect anyway, so I may have to disagree with you there.

[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

(03-10-2014, 06:03 PM)nittany13 Wrote: I personally still prefer to buy my cards through eBay, although I still occasionally buy from COMC depending on the circumstance. Not too much new stuff makes its way to the COMC website on a daily basis, especially cards of players that are not terribly popular with collectors. If there are rare cards (I should stress "rare") listed of a player I collect on other sites I would strongly consider buying on there as well.

Sometimes I wish eBay was exclusively about bidding on listings instead of also incorporating the BIN option. It can be a rush trying to outbid everyone within your own personal limits and becoming the winner in the closing moments of an auction of a card you really want.

I have not noticed a decline of listed items on eBay, at least of players I collect anyway, so I may have to disagree with you there.
If there is an active market for who you collect, you'll always find your cards.

If i do a thread about one of my collections, for about a week stuff will show up on e-bay. Usually it has inflated prices because people no I'm looking.

If I don't share what I'm doing, a card will show up about once or twice a year. Usually it's at a much cheaper price.

Because I do mostly older sets that are limited to 1, 5, 10 or 25, they are difficult to find after a month or 2 after the products release.

Two years ago, I could always fill my needs on e-bay. I'm working on sets from 2012 and I haven't been able to find anything and I search daily.

Either people aren't happy with what the e-bay sells generate and are going elsewhere or people have just stopped opening the products I usually buy. Probably a combination of the 2.

Ebay fees are criminal... that's your simple answer to why the card volume is down so much.
#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

I am solely using Ebay right now. Mainly because I just haven't branched out to the other places. I certainly need to. My success has been limited lately on what I have been looking for on Ebay.
My Bucket

Wish list
1) Reggie White Auto
2) 2005 Topps Fan Favorite John Elway Auto (Baseball)
4) $$$ to buy 1 & 2