`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What's so special about rookie reprints?

RE: What's so special about rookie reprints?
(02-17-2014, 08:24 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: I don't mind the reprints as long as they actually mark them as such on the front of the card so shady people can't try to pass them off as the real thing. A little microscopic sized "reprint" on the very bottom of the back isn't good enough IMO.
I received a 1993 Topps Jeter RC reprint in a trade once. Not a big deal but was kind of annoyed.

I just never really liked the idea of reprints. It seems like a lazy card concept to me. I'm glad other people seem to enjoy them though.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Great feedback everyone Smile I knew this topic would gain good conversation Wink I think it would be cool if they did game used auto rookie reprints by the actual player....such as an Ernie Banks that was mentioned by a previous post...Example: Ernie Banks Rookie Reprint Game Used Glove w/Auto #'d 1/10 = AWESOME!!!! Take it a step further & have it Pre-slabbed by Beckett for the card companies like the 2004 Playoff Prime Cuts were done.....
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

For the most part I don't like the rookie reprints but I think Topps did an awesome job on these framed reprints in series one this year.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

To me, reprinting past designs is a lazy cop-out. It works for Heritage and in that situation I like it. These framed reprints and the patch reprints are also okay, they have desirablility in the marketplace. The Blue Sapphie continuity thing in Bowman has caused a lot of unscrupulous people to passing them off as refractor versions of the more recent releases (I mean come on, why reprint a card that was released like a year ago) and the Topps Cards Your Mom Threw Out is just plain a terrible concept when the card front has no discernible way of telling an original from the insert (and then they took it to another level by making them with the original back as well.....like they were cow-towing to their friends the shady card-dealers)
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

I don't see why there is so much hate for the reprints. I still think it's a good to be able to pull a reproduction of famous vintage cards that we won't be able to get for a decent price in its original conditions.
It's just like reading 60's comics on the editors' apps. Not the real thing but still good to read.
French RedSox Fan & Baseball cards collectors.
Sketch card fan.
Last Packs opened:
2 boxes of mars attacks: the revenge => 1 artist auto, 1 medallion & 2 silvers.

Next Packs:
nothing in sight

People I dealt with: card_fiend2013 ; rack85

(02-18-2014, 02:17 AM)jeantoto Wrote: I don't see why there is so much hate for the reprints. I still think it's a good to be able to pull a reproduction of famous vintage cards that we won't be able to get for a decent price in its original conditions.
It's just like reading 60's comics on the editors' apps. Not the real thing but still good to read.
Great Point but the concern for example is: Pulling a Mike Trout rookie reprint & calling it a "Hit" from a box.....Topps is doing the rookie reprints of modern day players :/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Trout-2014-...35d17b5f98

Its only a cheap little painted metal frame that's increasing its value more than the actual rookie card itself....If that's all it takes then any collector could simply put a metal frame around the REAL rookie card & increase its value....
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

They are just another insert Topps has decided to throw in to lure customers to buy their product. Some people like the RC reprints, I'm not one of them. There are waaay too many inserts as it is if you ask me.

I like inserts but the RC Reprints are not my favorite. I like innovative inserts like Pacific used to produce. (http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1536732.html) I'm not crazy about the Reprint inserts whether they are Rookie Reprints, Cards Your Mom Threw Out or 60 Years of Topps, regular and Original backs. That's just lazy.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I feel you there. I don't understand the big deal with them, why on earth would someone pay more for a reprint versus the real rookie card for example these framed metal rookie reprints in 2014 Topps. Yes they are cool but the Jeter is selling for like $20 more than Jeters actual Topps rookie. I understand the nastalgia behind it but I don't consider them hits. They are cool cards but hits to me are autos, relics and plates.

The point with the Trout's numbered reprint is that you get a "low" numbered Trout which is a little bit more attractive than simple everyday insert because it's a RC reproduction.

Now I understand that It's not the real deal and than I might not get as much success as the real RC but now let's ask yourself:
A Serial numbered RC reprint or a serial numbered "future bright star power league leader" insert?
I'd go for the reprint.
French RedSox Fan & Baseball cards collectors.
Sketch card fan.
Last Packs opened:
2 boxes of mars attacks: the revenge => 1 artist auto, 1 medallion & 2 silvers.

Next Packs:
nothing in sight

People I dealt with: card_fiend2013 ; rack85