`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did the Rangers rule 5 Russel Wilson?

Why did the Rangers rule 5 Russel Wilson?
I know its an old topic but with this story its come back up.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2014/01/topp...-baseball/

besides making a short timed high valued SP for bowman, what was the point in the Rangers rule 5 drafting him? Now im def. no expert on the rule 5 draft but i do believe to keep a rule 5 draft you have to have them on your 40 man roster the full year. Is it worth wasting a spot on the 40 man just to get the minor headline a couple of months ago? I know the guys suppose to be pretty good at both sports but is there any doubt he'll just stick to the one sport ( i mean he's not to bad as a QB right? lol )

just hate my team making moves to grab headlines as if they were based in the northeast Wink
[Image: 2choicesig_zps9f1610c4.gif]

RE: Why did the Rangers rule 5 Russel Wilson?
Actually taken in the AAA minor league part so the roster restrictions do not apply to Wilson.

GM Daniels said they took him for his very high work ethic and want him to come to spring training to show what that is like to younger players. They have no delusions that he will play baseball at all this year.

If he attends Spring Training it'll be a major draw (people and therefore money) for the team during Spring Training. Doubt they would tie up a ML roster spot for him, but the press and extra money during Spring training probably wont hurt.
Collecting: Fred McGriff, Chipper, Griffey, and Todd Helton.
[Image: 0989_001-1.jpg]

(01-20-2014, 06:22 PM)hckydv7 Wrote: Actually taken in the AAA minor league part so the roster restrictions do not apply to Wilson.

GM Daniels said they took him for his very high work ethic and want him to come to spring training to show what that is like to younger players. They have no delusions that he will play baseball at all this year.
Yup he's going to be a mentor of sorts to young guys in st and do some motivational speaking to the team about being a successful athlete

It's not really that unusual of a case given a lot of guys were 2 sport players in college and drafted

I doubt he will bring in much money in a way. he will likely stay at the minor league complex and be only there for a limited time

And I think the rule 5 is on the 25 man roster and not the 40 man. Phillies are fond of these picks which is where they got victorino from, but yo can also get a buff like michael martinez and take up a spot all season!!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s