`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Waiting worth the Wait ?????

Is Waiting worth the Wait ?????
As the new season of card buying quickly approaches I'm wondering if other collectors are beginning to considered this as an option to their buying cards. I used to be the collector that couldn't wait for the newest set to hit the streets. I used to put down a deposit so that the cards would ship on their release date. But now with the budget for cards getting smaller and noticing that the prices on some of the boxes I've bought was much less a month, 6 months, a year later after I bought them. I am now considering waiting until the hype is over and buying most of my cards later. I know I will still buy cards on the release date, but maybe not as much. Good example 2013 topps updated jumbo box I paid $95.00 for it. Now going for the same box $62.00. I know some of you would argue that there are redemption offers with expiration dates on them. But waiting 3-6 months would still allow me to buy a product at a lower cost and still have time to send it in. Just looking for anyone's opinion and wondering out loud.

[Image: HAAron_zps59cd76b2.jpg]

RE: Is Waiting worth the Wait ?????
I do believe is worth the wait, specially for higher end products. I have picked up a few boxes of triple threads at a lower cost after a few months. There is still plenty of time for redemption and it doesn't make a difference in pulling hall of fame or superstars players out of those packs. It is at a lower cost and it can go to the PC or still be an easy card to trade.

It is usually worth the wait. There will be very few boxes that will be selling for more, but the majority will be the same price or less. I usually wait nearly a year to get boxes, with a few exceptions like blasters. The only reason to buy boxes on the release day or around that date is if you plan on immediately selling the hits (as they usually drop in resale value pretty quickly after release).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

well imma play devils advocate here, since i think everyone will agree the smart thing to do is wait for the hype to drop and buy then. but the only time i've ever bought a case( two actually) was inception this year and my biggest pull was a puig bowman black redemption /25 which i sold for just about the cost of both cases. my point - i seriously think since i pre-ordered so far in advance that I had better odds at something outstanding because thinking from topps perspective they need to see those pop up on boards like this and on ebay so people can think wow i want to pull something like that! of course they want the biggest fish to be out in the water awhile longer to drive that thirst but you get what im saying Smile anyhow i think its smart to wait 3-6 months, i just dont have the patience
[Image: 2choicesig_zps9f1610c4.gif]

If you wait, then the re-sale value on the cards is probably a third less or more. You miss out on all the collectors who are trying to snap up hard-to-find parallels. There's a reason why boxes sell for so much less months later. -Whether that matters to you or not may be a different story.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(01-13-2014, 07:23 PM)uvaspina Wrote: If you wait, then the re-sale value on the cards is probably a third less or more. You miss out on all the collectors who are trying to snap up hard-to-find parallels. There's a reason why boxes sell for so much less months later. -Whether that matters to you or not may be a different story.
+34
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Just curious but what does the +34 mean ?????????? Bad enough I have to decipher the acronyms that my students utilize LOL......
[Image: dodgers1-1.jpg]

he agrees +34 times
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

I understand the economics of waiting for pricing to go down, but I pre-order all my boxes ( at most 3 per release) so that I have stuff to swap out while a product is new/hot and folks are building thier sets. Plus, I'd just as soon get retail stuff at a later date if need be. Hits...you can always sell/trade them. Is the $20 - $25 bucks I over spend for a waste as opposed to waiting 6 months? Depends on what I rip...LOL.

It's so fast and furious, I just give myself a budget and stick to it. This year I was at my max the beginning of November, so I shut it down and needed to wait until 1/1/14 til I could start attacking the 2014 budget. That ment no buying Heritage factory sets, no ebay purchases, card shows and no trading (postage and supplies are part of the budget). Just the method to my madness....
(01-13-2014, 09:47 PM)muz0 Wrote: he agrees +34 times
Nolan Ryan's number...34 Instead of the custom of a +1 in agreement.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I honestly don't buy new cards anymore I have to spend enough on my Jeter 90's collection so I don't even worry about newer cards anymore. I guess you can say that's the cost of being a Super Collector of someone who is a huge name and his cards go for a ton of money.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]