`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many cards to I have to buy?

How many cards to I have to buy?
What the heck is going on with Bowman's chrome cards and how many am I going to have to buy to get a nice one? My New Years resolution was to really cut back and just collect Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and both Drafts of the Phillies. I had already started this before the new year. Well, so far I've had to buy 4 green refractor Hamels because every one I received has been scratched. And this isn't the only card I've had to do this with. My thought now is that this was a bad idea because I still don't have a decent Hamels and I've spent around $5 total on these four. If I have to go through this with half of them or more its going to cost me a small fortune. This isn't my way of cutting back. I bought a few more off the Bay so I'll see how these are. If this keeps up I'm back to set building and staying away from anything Topps puts out chrome.
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

RE: How many cards to I have to buy?
Chrome cards really need a makeover in my opinion. Since 2010 the quality has just been crap. I opened up my 2012 Topps Chrome storage box and found that they had curled like nobody's business. For what they charge, there's no reason the cards couldn't be on the same stock that they produce Topps Finest with.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

RE: How many cards to I have to buy?
(01-05-2014, 09:31 PM)cross4444 Wrote: Chrome cards really need a makeover in my opinion. Since 2010 the quality has just been crap. I opened up my 2012 Topps Chrome storage box and found that they had curled like nobody's business. For what they charge, there's no reason the cards couldn't be on the same stock that they produce Topps Finest with.
Agreed!
But, did they suspect this was going to happen?
If its an accident then improve the product, if it was done 'on purpose' and the quality was suspect fron the onset, then Topps needs to do some explaining and some product replacement.
For example, I can forgive them for the edge chipping that occurred on their 1962 'wood' like borders, but I find it unforgivable that they encountered the same problem with their 2013 high-end Five Star cards and didn't try to fix, improve or replace that product line.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.